Route suggestions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
IF you were to tour from Ouistreham to Bilbao...what route would you take? The fantastic (IMHO) cycle.travel has obviously suggested an excellent direct route, but I don't know much of that part of France and I wonder if I'm missing some nice bits.

My thoughts are:

* Ouistreham/Domfront/Laval/Angers/Somewhere/La Rochelle (for a rest day)
* La Rochelle/Somewhere/Bordeaux (for a rest day with wine)
* Bordeaux down to Biarritz area over 2 or 3 days. I'd thought we'd spend a few days in Biarritz (because this is a holiday) but it's blindingly expensive, so where else could we chill? St Jean de Luz?
* Biarritz or St Jean de Luz/Donastia/Somewhere/Bilbao.

Questions
If we spent longer heading south, should we go west towards Niort and then down the coast to La Rochelle? What route would you take towards La Rochelle?
* Is there an inland route between Bordeaux and Biarritz that has interesting scenery and nice towns? I'd like to spend a day in Les Landes but not too long to be bored. Otherwise, does anyone know any nice stops en route?
* Alternatives to Biarritz
* ANY thoughts on a nice route from Biarritz to Bilbao? I don't know the Basque country at all. I know it's hilly and I've discovered that it's expensive in August.

Merci :smile:

Joining the Velodyssey (EV1, I think) will offer a relatively traffic free route down as far as the south of France/Spain and then, I think, it heads inland to Pamplona as opposed to the coast. I've seen comments that it was boring... but I loved it! Stick me beside the sea and I'm in heaven.

I'm guessing that you're not camping? I noticed that camping became noticeably more expensive the further south I went so I'd expect the same of accommodation. That was April/May time.

I've done the Basque country on both sides of Bilbao but that was when I was blissfully ignorant of gps and online mapping. I just followed a road map as best I could and had no problems. Big, quiet roads with lots of climbing and fast, sweeping descents. I'd trust CT on whatever it suggests - unless there is something in particular you want to see. I definitely noticed a more mercurial attitude to pricing in the Basque country, too.

What's nice and interesting enough not to be bored in a day is a bit subjective ^_^ Maybe check out the map feature on CGOAB to check out the more inland options?

I remember there being a lot of surfing, windsurfing and kite surfing going on on some of the beaches along the way. That might make for an interesting diversion for your boys and maybe even yourself?

Another journal to look forward to! Yaaaay!

Just to add.....
You might want to consider the weather depending on when you're going, School holidays? It has been very, very hot the past couple of summers. Maybe not too many long days in a row or places to stop to pass a few hours (and the worst of the heat).

bluenotebob

Veteran
This summer we'll be heading along the French side of the Channel coast to Roscoff and then, as @HobbesOnTour suggests, heading south on the EV1 to Biarritz.

I don't want to hi-jack @Cathryn 's thread - but, as I've written elsewhere, there are some problems with Eurovelo#1 in Brittany at the moment - and they may take time (months) to resolve. If you start your own thread, I'll post more info - or you can PM me for the details.

bluenotebob

Veteran
@Cathryn .. I can't help with your route planning - but, as I have neighbours from la Rochelle (one of them was down there last week), if you have any specific queries about that area, let me know and I'll see what I can do to help.

I don't want to hi-jack @Cathryn 's thread - but, as I've written elsewhere, there are some problems with Eurovelo#1 in Brittany at the moment - and they may take time (months) to resolve. If you start your own thread, I'll post more info - or you can PM me for the details.

We're not going until September, but thanks.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
*If* it were me, after a quick glance at the map and a couple of streetviews:

- I'd choose somewhere nice in the Loire. Angers is lovely, and see the "Tapestry of the Apocalypse" in the chateau if you do go there. One of the most astonishing cultural artefacts I've ever seen, I'm amazed it's not better known.

- Bordeaux looks great, and during planning (now superceded) we intended to go to the "Bassin d'Arcachon" adjacent on a friend's recommendation.

- the minor roads through the Pyrenees to Pamplona look super lovely eg
Chem. à Roncesvaux https://maps.app.goo.gl/75gyy15H4FGyUWKa9 I love hills though...

- I'm not a fan of long distances on sea side bike routes; tend to be busy, a bit dull and slow. We had a holiday at St Jean de Monts in the vendee which might be on your route where the coastal cycle was like that. Very nice, but wouldn't want a week of it.

But really, whatever you fancy will work out!

It's worth considering doing the whole Velo Francette, which is a gorgeous route. c.t's default route to Bilbao follows it from Ouistreham to Angers, but then takes its own course on little roads. If you carry on along the Velo Francette (V43) via Thouars, Parthenay and Niort there's more to see, at the cost of a few extra miles.

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
*If* it were me, after a quick glance at the map and a couple of streetviews:

- I'd choose somewhere nice in the Loire. Angers is lovely, and see the "Tapestry of the Apocalypse" in the chateau if you do go there. One of the most astonishing cultural artefacts I've ever seen, I'm amazed it's not better known.

- Bordeaux looks great, and during planning (now superceded) we intended to go to the "Bassin d'Arcachon" adjacent on a friend's recommendation.

- the minor roads through the Pyrenees to Pamplona look super lovely eg
Chem. à Roncesvaux https://maps.app.goo.gl/75gyy15H4FGyUWKa9 I love hills though...

- I'm not a fan of long distances on sea side bike routes; tend to be busy, a bit dull and slow. We had a holiday at St Jean de Monts in the vendee which might be on your route where the coastal cycle was like that. Very nice, but wouldn't want a week of it.

But really, whatever you fancy will work out!

Thank you for this! It’s the long distances on seaside bike routes that are concerning me. Everything else looks good. Just that stretch from Bordeaux to Biarritz.

Top Bottom