Eurovelo 6, Serbia to the sea: route and preparations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
dimrub

dimrub

I can recommend SJS if they ship to your part of the world. Hand-built, customisable and efficient, friendly, knowledgeable and - in my case - extremely patient ^_^.

Unfortunately, they charge £188 to ship to my neck-o-woods. My usual choice of supplier is bike-components.de, their shipping costs are reasonable, but they don't carry the necessary parts.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Despite this, or any other trip being postponed indefinitely, I continue in full denial mode, as if everything is going according to plan. As Adam Savage says in the trailer for Mythbusters, "I reject your reality and substitute my own". Almost everything is ready. The bike itself is running smoothly, once I've centered the brakes. The saddle will take time to wear in, but nothing to be done about it right now, except starting to commute - I'm planning to resume commuting next week, if the security situation allows. The only things missing from the planned setup is the (optional at this point) backpack on top of the rear rack, the second bottle cage, the mirror and the saddle bag - all will be installed soon.

This is a much heavier setup than the previous one, but that was expected.
View attachment 713010

View attachment 713011

View attachment 713012

View attachment 713013

Looks like a fantastic setup, positively Germanic in its fearsome colour coordination!

As hobbes suggests, if you've a tent putting it on top rather than inside seems sensible. But I'm of the view that cycle camping is just too much weight anyway, so what do I know?

And I agree wheel strength is the thing of over riding importance, though can't really offer you any advice as to how to achieve it, more spokes is definitely better in principle.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Perhaps a realistic comparison of weights carried (and riders) would be useful?

I know what you are both saying, but I try to be careful with the language I use. I was careful to not say that I think it's wrong or a bad idea, but instead suggest that maybe 32 hole wheels are not as fragile as suggested? I know overall weights will be different, but I doubt by much, I weigh 72kg and fully loaded along with 2 litres of water I'm probably not that shy of 95 kg all in, adding in 11 kilo's of bike and you have over a 100 kilos. My main point of comparison though, was that I use my bike much more roughly, that 100 odd kilos is thrown around on some pretty rugged old ground, much more so than the smooth gravelly surface of bike tracks and such like.

I don't want to turn it into a debate though, I wasn't trying to say anyone was wrong, just offer up my experience and leave it up to others to decide if it was relevant or not.

There's also the fact that your wheel(s) were rebuilt. (Did you do that yourself? - sorry, more curiosity ^_^) I'm a fan of that, myself.

The rear wheel was slightly out of true, but weirdly the spoke tension was all over the place, with some loose and others tight. Efforts to true the wheel only exacerbated the uneven tension problem. So one evening I popped the wheel on my homemade truing jig and undid all the spokes back to a known point, i.e where the threads started showing. Then I retensioned the whole wheel. So not a complete re-lace, just a re-tension and tue. I have re-laced some wheels, just not on the Kona.

Whatever you decide to do though dimrub, enjoy that bike, Kona Sutra's are well regarded touring bikes for a good reason. The're well built and I find mine to be super comfy, both loaded and unloaded. I wish you many miles of happy adventures with yours.

one evening I popped the wheel on my homemade truing jig and undid all the spokes back to a known point, i.e where the threads started showing. Then I retensioned the whole wheel. So not a complete re-lace, just a re-tension and tue. I have re-laced some wheels, just not on the Kona.
I am soooooooo jealous! :blush:

I'd love to be able to do that!

Some day! ^_^

Top Bottom