Scotland : The Highlands CC Ecosse Lochs and Glens Tour #CONFIRMED#

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
Cool. I'll email Katy, she has some reservations on a bit of the route that might be hard on tourers.
She will post on here asp after giving the route a closer look - spoke to her today on passing.

What part is she worried about?

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
Be good to hear from @mcshroom and @mikeee if the extra day causes the guys from englandshire any additional headaches....

I know you have closed it to new entries but if you go with the 4 day option and everything else works out (obvious things like me walking again, being able to sit again etc) I would be interested but I would organise my own accommodation via a tent option... Also does anyone know if the cycle tour shoddier the A9 is wife enough in places for a trike? I remember it being quite narrow at times.

I wouldn't be interested in the 3 day option. Too far for me touring with camping kit. :sad:

I know you have closed it to new entries but if you go with the 4 day option and everything else works out (obvious things like me walking again, being able to sit again etc) I would be interested but I would organise my own accommodation via a tent option... Also does anyone know if the cycle tour shoddier the A9 is wife enough in places for a trike? I remember it being quite narrow at times.
I don't imagine that Drumochter Pass would be impassably narrow even with a trike, but then again I was last there in 2004. Judging by Streetview it looks like the cyclepath has been resurfaced as of September last year.

Some other places on the route, however, would definitely involve an element of portage - particularly the section between SECC and Maryhill (or, if we go via Balloch, the River Leven path is riddled with gates)

@Fubar maybe do another poll to identify the preferred option, and set another deadline?

I don't imagine that Drumochter Pass would be impassably narrow even with a trike, but then again I was last there in 2004. Judging by Streetview it looks like the cyclepath has been resurfaced as of September last year.
that was the bit I recall it being really make on, but I've not been that way in a while but may have to in May to resit and advanced first aid course if I am able to sit by then, not holding my breath on that one tbh.

Bits we know are going to be bad I could route around...
But it would all depend on many things including my recovery, so it is only a small chance and something to aim for more than anything else :whistle:

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru

I wouldn't be interested in the 3 day option. Too far for me touring with camping kit. :sad:

Hi @SatNavSaysStraightOn - you will be most welcome and if you are arranging your own accommodation even more so! Accomm is the main issue with so many people so if you want to join us at the last minute and camp that would be great! As you say something to aim for.

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
@Fubar maybe do another poll to identify the preferred option, and set another deadline?

I was just about to do a poll but aside from @mcshroom and @mikeee everyone else has either not expressed a preference or opted for the 4-day - plus it will depend what accommodation I can get so doing a poll would suggest we will go with the majority whereas in truth it will be availability that will dictate what we can/can't do.

If some are struggling with the thought of the 4-day mileages I think the 3-day option with 85 miles on the last day will just put people right off - I know I wouldn't want to put that kind of expectation on Junior Fu esp if the weather is as poor as Islay was.

What I might do is just phone the accommodation options and see what they have available then set a deadline for final names - take it or leave it.

Hi @SatNavSaysStraightOn - you will be most welcome and if you are arranging your own accommodation even more so! Accomm is the main issue with so many people so if you want to join us at the last minute and camp that would be great! As you say something to aim for.
thank you. :okay:

I rode the section alongside the A9 from after Dunkeld to Logierait and it was wide enough for a trike - as long as the (nettle :ohmy:) verges have been cut !
sounds like it has been 'done up' since I last went that way. we tend to avoid it because we go up and over from Kinlochrannoch mostly and then via Trinafour up and over the top dropping down at Dalnacardoch Cottage when we go to Dalwhinnie... out of curiosity is this tour including distillery stops? hang on its the bit passed Pitlochry I have concerns about width.... I know they were doing it up but last I saw it was still not yet wide enough in some sections.. perhaps I will have a google earth look at it and see what the date is.... I've done the section from Pitlochry down to the forth road bridge so know that bit... there are some steps around Dunkeld station, but they are easily avoided...and would be downhill in the direction we would be going in - or have they taken them out now?

Top Bottom