Scotland : The Highlands CC Ecosse Lochs and Glens Tour #CONFIRMED#

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Oh, we'll miss you!
Truth said, we need to go another mini tour sometimes, @Ellebells has asked, she can't come on this one because she is otherwise engaged on those dates ... :smooch: ^_^
Lets see if we can figure out a weekender at some point :smile:

Somebuddy

Über Member
I don't mind whether it is a 3 or 4 days tour. I have met some of the intended participants and think that some may not be keen on BIG miles per day.
I am not familiar with the route and don't know where any hills may be. So being a bit ignorant, I like the sound of:
Thursday 13 August: overnight stay at Callander Hostel, on the edge of the scenic stuff - get there by bike (42 miles from Glasgow), train or car.
Friday 14 August: Callander to Pitlochry SYHA (pick up @@Scoosh), 63 miles
Saturday 15 August: Pitlochry to Newtonmore Hostel, 42 miles
Sunday 16 August: Newtonmore to Inverness, 58 miles - overnight in Inverness, train home in the morning/afternoon

BUT........... is 42 miles enough? on day one and three. Mmmmmm 42 not enough and 90 too much

Can I ask for the westies, where is the start, meet up point. Ignore that. I've just seen the ridewithgps link on page one. The SECC.

This is also OK: and if day 3 is a problem then a stop over at Aviemore youth hostel.......for the youths. I'll wait outside!
Day 1: Glasgow - Loch Voil
Day 2: Loch Voil to Kinloch Rannoch Centre 48 miles (hilly, cuts out a big loop of NCN7) http://www.hostel-scotland.co.uk/hostels/Kinloch-Rannoch-Centre-Groups-Only.htm
Day 3: Kinloch Rannoch to Inverness (85 miles, couple of big climbs but doable)

So in summary........... I don't mind what we do, but I don't want to be cycling into the night. Just got to have my dinner at dinner time.
Regards, Dave

flyingfifi

Über Member
I quite like Mark's route, even though Telemark's comment worries me a wee bit :smile:
There are no doubts that the guys will make it, I'm willing to give it a good effort and train for the hills from now to the date of the tour ^_^
If I find I can't make a stage, I could always abandon, head for the nearest train station home, lesson learned about my cycling limits :laugh:
What say you @flyingfifi @KatyO? Please read below and let @Fubar know.

@Fubar said:
Thursday 13 August: overnight stay at Callander Hostel, on the edge of the scenic stuff - get there by bike (42 miles from Glasgow), train or car.
Friday 14 August: Callander to Pitlochry SYHA (pick up @@Scoosh), 63 miles
Saturday 15 August: Pitlochry to Newtonmore Hostel, 42 miles
Sunday 16 August: Newtonmore to Inverness, 58 miles - overnight in Inverness, train home in the morning/afternoon
Cuts out any huge mileage days and keeps it at 3 days from Callander to Inverness.
Telemark remarked:
im up for cycling 42miles to callander in my own speed I have small budget for spending I can not afford to get a train there aswell a hotel on first nite sorry but there you go :sad:

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Callander isn't exactly accessible to those without cars either :sad:
Callander from Dunblane train station is not very far, perfect for a balmy summer evening :okay:

The bikes really shouldn't be so heavily loaded as to be a major factor. If the weather is hideous and the Loch Lubnaig trail has turned into an impassable quagmire we can always divert onto the main road. I don't recall Glenogle being particularly muddy.
Not muddy, just slower and more tiring than the nice smooth tarmac on the roads (there must be some SOMEWHERE in Scotland ;))

@Pat "5mph" - I wouldn't worry too much, I just always think of the worst the weather can throw at me (seasonally adjusted :giggle:) when planning a tour, and then go for something middling in terms of distance or keep accommodation flexible. The latter is of course almost impossible with a large group during peak holiday time unless you all (or a selection of you, preferably the speedier ones :laugh:) carry tents ...
You are one strong rider :hugs:

T

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
I had better withdraw myself now to save you worrying. I've been asking and it looks like getting that time off right after a two week holiday is not going to be possible. :sad:

I'd love to come, but I'll have to wait for another one. Have fun everyone :biggrin: :thumbsup::bicycle:

Sorry to hear that Mike, but thanks for letting me know.

DougieAB

Getting the messages
Hi, been away in Saudi so just catching up with the thread. I am happy to go with the majority as I have no problem with holidays and could cope with the higher daily mileage so either option is fine by me.

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
im up for cycling 42miles to callander in my own speed I have small budget for spending I can not afford to get a train there aswell a hotel on first nite sorry but there you go :sad:

Hi, just trying to clarify - are you saying the extra Thursday in Callander is ok if cycling there? @Pat "5mph" am I reading that right??

Don't want to proceed without knowing for sure and making assumptions - totally up to you, of course. Cheers, Mark

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hi, just trying to clarify - are you saying the extra Thursday in Callander is ok if cycling there? @Pat "5mph" am I reading that right??

Don't want to proceed without knowing for sure and making assumptions - totally up to you, of course. Cheers, Mark
Fine with us, Mark, Fifi and I have a flexible work schedule.
And yes, if we start from Callender the two of us will cycle it from Glasgow.
Could you please give us the definite route?
Katy has seen a bit that she would like to input about.
Also, most probably Fiona and I will do a reccie run to Callander well before the tour. just in case we get lost on the day:smile:

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
Also, most probably Fiona and I will do a reccie run to Callander well before the tour. just in case we get lost on the day:smile:

I'll try to do it this week Pat - unless @Edwardoka beats me to it...:whistle:

Thanks for clarifying!:okay:

flyingfifi

Über Member
We doing a reccie oh ok then there and back in one day :bicycle::training:

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru

Actually it's the same route as on page 1, just different stopping points.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Another 'maybe' bites the dust ...:cry:
Having just sorted out when we can have our summer holidays this year (work stuff getting in the way of date choices) ... it's exactly the same as last year, we'll be heading off too soon after the tour for me to be able to take off an extra couple days so close to the holidays. Argh! Again, like last year, I can't really complain as we are getting a nice long holiday before the summer is over (now firmly booked :wahhey:). I shall be watching jealously from the sidelines ... have fun, girls & boys! :hello:

T

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Actually it's the same route as on page 1, just different stopping points.
Cool. I'll email Katy, she has some reservations on a bit of the route that might be hard on tourers.
She will post on here asp after giving the route a closer look - spoke to her today on passing.

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
Another 'maybe' bites the dust ...:cry:
Having just sorted out when we can have our summer holidays this year (work stuff getting in the way of date choices) ... it's exactly the same as last year, we'll be heading off too soon after the tour for me to be able to take off an extra couple days so close to the holidays. Argh! Again, like last year, I can't really complain as we are getting a nice long holiday before the summer is over (now firmly booked :wahhey:). I shall be watching jealously from the sidelines ... have fun, girls & boys! :hello:

T

One of these days! Thanks for letting me know.

Top Bottom