Scotland : Perthshire CC Ecosse RV ride to see @satnav! Saturday 10 Oct, 12-1 RV Time

Which day preferred?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fubar

Guru
I mentioned a while back that @SatNavSaysStraightOn is going to be near Pitlochry in October, so proposal is to RV at their holiday farm either Sat 10 or Sun 11 October and go for a very gentle pootle round the loch - might mean train/car up and back due to the lack of daylight and riding will be weather dependant.

So far I have interest from:

@Edwardoka
@Pat "5mph"
@Scoosh
@MikeW-71 (out, unfortunately)
@Brandane (weather dependant)
@Harry_Palmer79
@User9609
@Pale Rider

@SatNavSaysStraightOn says Rannoch Station on the west coast line is closer than Pitlochry, I'll have a look at train times tomorrow. Stick yer name below if interested, SatNav better get baking!

Last edited:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman

Yep Rannoch station is 10-11 miles from the holiday home and a much easier and quieter rider than the one from Pitlochry. However, it has far fewer trains, I believe than the Pitlochry option. Pitlochry is a 26-30 miles ride with some interesting climbs initially out of P towards Loch Tummel, primarily to get up and over the damn whose name escapes me at 5am in the morning (the dog needed to uncross his legs). There are 2 routes (actually there are 4 but...) out of P that could be taken. North side of Loch Tummel and south side. The southern route is a much nicer ride, but is also the much steeper out of P initially, and I do mean steep (20% and 25% gradients being sign posted).

Those distances are each way BTW.

I'll do some cakes, don't know which or what yet but there will certainly be some chocolate chip scones... And probably a Victoria sandwich and maybe a fruit cake if I get chance. Please place orders now!

I can volunteer my OH with car and bike rack for a max of 3 passengers and 3 bikes to collect from one or other of the stations.

It will currently take me 3 hours to cycle around the loch (Loch Rannoch) which is roughly a 24 mile circuit adding time to that route - sadly my speed is not what it used to be and I will need a stop half way around. If others could bring a flask for hot drinks it would be useful. October can be unpredictable on Rannoch... I'm hoping a chance of tyres will help my speed have knocked a combined weight of ¾kg or 1½lb off the the weight but I am waiting (see I can make really bad pound sometimes) for a certain OH to change my tyres for me... :whistle:

:hello:

I know it's still at the speculative stage, but roughly what time would we be looking at?
***looks at map :crazy:***
I'm guessing a sensible option would be an 'early' afternoon tour of the loch. the sun will be setting at 6:30pm on the 10th, (well 18:28 but who is counting a few minutes)... I say early because it would need roughly 3-4 hrs putting aside for it, but I will understand if we get half way round and people say they need to leave.... else the alternative is to take lunch and cakes with us and stop on the other side of the loch wich I will be needing anyhow and have lunch on the far side if the weather is up to it (aka not torrential rain).... So how does a picnic of the far side of the loch sound?

But that is without looking at any train timetables for either west or east coast.... or knowing what people want to do.

I'm guessing a sensible option would be an 'early' afternoon tour of the loch. the sun will be setting at 6:30pm on the 10th, (well 18:28 but who is counting a few minutes)... I say early because it would need roughly 3-4 hrs putting aside for it, but I will understand if we get half way round and people say they need to leave.... else the alternative is to take lunch and cakes with us and stop on the other side of the loch wich I will be needing anyhow and have lunch on the far side if the weather is up to it (aka not torrential rain).... So how does a picnic of the far side of the loch sound?

But that is without looking at any train timetables for either west or east coast.... or knowing what people want to do.
My crazy idea (when are my ideas not crazy??) is to ride from home (which is near Dundee) to the RV via Dunkeld/Aberfeldy/Schiehallion (approx 60 miles), do a lap of the loch with you guys and then get the train from Rannoch back to Glasgow, but this is predicated on two things; a) it being a Saturday, and b) the west highland line having space for bikes.

The west highland line is notoriously bad for bike capacity.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Logistics for me look a bit trickier. My best option is to simply drive to Pitlochry and ride to the meet from there. I would just need a place to park all day at Pitlochry.

Rasmus

Without a clever title
The west highland line is notoriously bad for bike capacity.

Still 6 spaces on the train, no? I've never had any problem, but then again I've always had a reservation.

If you end up going on Sunday there is also the super-late option of the sleeper. Reservations mandatory.

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
Logistics for me look a bit trickier. My best option is to simply drive to Pitlochry and ride to the meet from there. I would just need a place to park all day at Pitlochry.

There is a visitors car park at Pitlochry which I'm sure charges, though you could probably drive out of town and dump it somewhere - or just drive direct to the venue? I'm sure @SatNavSaysStraightOn can confirm if there is parking...

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
@Scoosh did you mention something about a car, 3 bike spaces and a kind heart... :whistle:

Happy to share petrol costs - could @MikeW-71 drive to Edinburgh and become the 3rd Amigo??

Top Bottom