Central Scotland Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Looks good to me.

I have no great attachment to cycling along the canal tow path, but I have never had a problem cycling along it with using 23 mm tyres. In this case I think the road route would be better as the canal tow path is rather narrow for a group ride.

I have only ridden the northern section to Blackness Castle and rather enjoyed it.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

OK, are folk happy with this ride? Is it possibly a little short, or is everyone happy with this particular route? (I can't believe I said that, it does have a wee hill at the start!).

So what suits people best, the Saturday or the Sunday? I usually work Sundays, but I can rearrange relatively easily, so either is ok for me.

MrRidley

Just worrying about sort of speeds you will be going, as a newbie on my giant hybrid i am only averaging about 12-13mph at the moment, i'm defo up for the run but dont want to hold anybody up.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

bhoyjim said:
Just worrying about sort of speeds you will be going, as a newbie on my giant hybrid i am only averaging about 12-13mph at the moment, i'm defo up for the run but dont want to hold anybody up.

Do not fear! Up until recently I've been on a very heavy hybrid and I managed PfS and the more recent, very hilly and VERY windy ride. Yes I did hold the others up, but no-one complained and we still had an enjoyable ride (at least I think we did!). I think the emphasis is on chat rather than cycle, and if anyone does fall behind the faster riders will always wait further up the road.

I think if these rides become more established then there might be different levels of ride, but at the moment, it is just about having an enjoyable day out.

Oh and you get to meet the infamous magnatom.......:evil::wacko:

MrRidley

magnatom said:
Do not fear! Up until recently I've been on a very heavy hybrid and I managed PfS and the more recent, very hilly and VERY windy ride. Yes I did hold the others up, but no-one complained and we still had an enjoyable ride (at least I think we did!). I think the emphasis is on chat rather than cycle, and if anyone does fall behind the faster riders will always wait further up the road.

I think if these rides become more established then there might be different levels of ride, but at the moment, it is just about having an enjoyable day out.

Oh and you get to meet the infamous magnatom.......:evil::wacko:

ok then i'll be up for that, and i shall bring my autograph book.
ps sunday would be best for me.

magnatom said:
OK, are folk happy with this ride? Is it possibly a little short, or is everyone happy with this particular route? (I can't believe I said that, it does have a wee hill at the start!).

So what suits people best, the Saturday or the Sunday? I usually work Sundays, but I can rearrange relatively easily, so either is ok for me.
Any day suits me (Saturday or Sunday). The roads on the southern section (south of Linlithgow) are very cycle friendly so the ride can be extended if need be.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
magnatom said:

Mag, if you want a longer ride there is nothing stopping you from riding to and from Linlithgow;) or as HLaB suggests we could extend the southern loop...

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Hairy Jock said:
Mag, if you want a longer ride there is nothing stopping you from riding to and from Linlithgow;) or as HLaB suggests we could extend the southern loop...

Ha, I almost sound like a proper roadie, wanting to extend the ride! :smile: Not sure about the Glasgow to Linlithgow extension though...

lazyfatgit

If it's Sun 29th count me in :-)

unfortunately Mrs LFG works Sat and chief child minders are on holiday.

BJ - don't worry about average speed. at the moment i'm happy to hit 12mph!

it's been a long time since i cycled in a group, but it's definately easier if there's a wheel to follow if you're struggling. I remember getting a push from a strong rider into a gale force head wind about 20 yrs ago.

ACS

Legendary Member
Almost frightened to ask, being another newbie who is just about able to hang off the back of a child on a BMX, could I express an interest and perhaps bring my Sirrus sport out for the day and give it ago? 30 to 35 miler would be a challenge to aim for. I’ll be the Michelin Man dressed by Aldi sounding like an asthmatic at the back.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Of course your welcome! :laugh: Until last week I was riding a 15kg hybrid (I've just weighed it!).

There are no prizes for winning, and if there are two distinct groups of riders one can always go on ahead and meet further down the road. It really is all about the chat. For those that want faster rides we can always arrange them separately in the future. Maybe we should grade rides. This one is mixed ability! :sad:

So the more the merrier!

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Oh, I should add, it's looking like Sunday the 29th is the preferred date. Is everyone happy with that?

ACS

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
Of course your welcome! :laugh: Until last week I was riding a 15kg hybrid (I've just weighed it!).

There are no prizes for winning, and if there are two distinct groups of riders one can always go on ahead and meet further down the road. It really is all about the chat. For those that want faster rides we can always arrange them separately in the future. Maybe we should grade rides. This one is mixed ability! :sad:

So the more the merrier!

magnatom said:
Oh, I should add, it's looking like Sunday the 29th is the preferred date. Is everyone happy with that?
Many thanks for the welcome don’t know about mixed ability, perhaps no ability and the SWMBO reckons our donkey is a biped because of me. 29th is good just need a start place and time, I will be travelling in from NE Fife

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
magnatom said:

Sunday is better for me.

Now - how do I get to the ride via public transport ? Would the Edinburgh-based crew with no vehicular transport of their own want to meet up and travel on the train together ?

Top Bottom