Chain life on an e-bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
My e-bike is a Merida Scultura with the Mahle X35 system linked to Shimano 105 group set with 11 speed cassette. I would have thought this system would result in less chain wear (compared to normal bikes) given that there is less power going through the transmission from the chain rings to the rear wheel (as the rear wheel is producing some of it's own power)?
However I have just changed the drive chain as it had reached it's wear limit (0.75mm) according to my chain wear measuring tool. The mileage on this bike is only 1650 from new. On my other normal bikes I would be expecting at least 2k miles from a chain. OK, none of them are 11 speed. I think I have one 10 speed, and the rest are 9 speed.
Points to note:
1. I tend to use this bike on more hilly routes, as that was the reason for buying it in the first place. Getting older and struggling with the climbing!
2. I'm a fair weather rider so it doesn't tend to get subjected to component unfriendly rain/muck/grit.
3. I'm not a cross chainer.

So I'm just wondering if this is now a reasonable mileage to get out of an 11 speed drive chain? Or was the original supplied chain maybe not the best quality? I have replaced with KMC e11 so will be interesting to see how long it lasts.

Slick

Guru
Really difficult for me to say as Idon't monitor these things, but I know Mrs Slick still has her original chain 3k miles later. It is due a service now and will probably be changed in the next few weeks.

I treated myself to a new ebike at the end of last year, just to make the wee multi day tours more fun. :okay: I have to be honest and say, I don't try and minimise chain wear but can't really be accused of cross chaining as I only have a single ring at the front. I reckon I've done around 1k on it since I got it, and it feels like knew to me, but I'll check when I get back home.

Both these bikes are mid drive, so maybe that's the difference.

Mine of on its 4th chain and has done 9,400 miles
and that is a mid drive so ALL the power (i.e. me and the motor) goes through the chain

First chain masted the least - after that the LBS told me they put a stronger chain on and they seem to last a lot longer

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Mine's a Ribble Hybrid Al-e with SRAM NX and is still on the original chain after 2044 miles. I've no idea if it's reached the wear limit as, like all my other bikes, I don't bother to check and just run the chain & cassette as a matched pair until the chain starts to skip and then replace both.

CXRAndy

Guru
Really difficult for me to say as Idon't monitor these things, but I know Mrs Slick still has her original chain 3k miles later. It is due a service now and will probably be changed in the next few weeks.

I treated myself to a new ebike at the end of last year, just to make the wee multi day tours more fun. :okay: I have to be honest and say, I don't try and minimise chain wear but can't really be accused of cross chaining as I only have a single ring at the front. I reckon I've done around 1k on it since I got it, and it feels like knew to me, but I'll check when I get back home.

Both these bikes are mid drive, so maybe that's the difference.

if you get a steel rule, measure across 6" of links to see if rivets length are still within spec. or ride until chain start slipping, normally means cass is worn too at that point

"Using a ruler, a new chain should measure exactly 12 inches across 12 links, from middle of pin to middle of pin. The number most commonly agreed on for a worn chain is one per cent elongation between links. In reality though, you should replace the chain before this point.25 Jan 2023"

My e-bike is a Merida Scultura with the Mahle X35 system linked to Shimano 105 group set with 11 speed cassette. I would have thought this system would result in less chain wear (compared to normal bikes) given that there is less power going through the transmission from the chain rings to the rear wheel (as the rear wheel is producing some of it's own power)?
However I have just changed the drive chain as it had reached it's wear limit (0.75mm) according to my chain wear measuring tool. The mileage on this bike is only 1650 from new. On my other normal bikes I would be expecting at least 2k miles from a chain. OK, none of them are 11 speed. I think I have one 10 speed, and the rest are 9 speed.
Points to note:
1. I tend to use this bike on more hilly routes, as that was the reason for buying it in the first place. Getting older and struggling with the climbing!
2. I'm a fair weather rider so it doesn't tend to get subjected to component unfriendly rain/muck/grit.
3. I'm not a cross chainer.

So I'm just wondering if this is now a reasonable mileage to get out of an 11 speed drive chain? Or was the original supplied chain maybe not the best quality? I have replaced with KMC e11 so will be interesting to see how long it lasts.

I think 11 speed 105 is a performance component with thinner links and is not likely to last the same as thicker stronger chains plus you use this bike for more hilly terrain. Obviously your weight, your power and how you ride the bike and change gear are other factors. 1650 miles doesn't seem too bad for such a thin chain even with a hub motor. A quick shows the typically battery supplied with the Mahle X35 is only 250Wh so very small capacity and the peak torque is only 40Nm so this is unlikely to give much assistance as an average so I guess would be classed as light assistance with the battery pack only capable of a fairly low discharge rate.

Top Bottom