Chain too long?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian A

Über Member
My bike came with a 53/39 front and 12-25 rear which has worked well but I decided to change the chainring to a 50/34 and rear cassette to an 11-28 for an upcoming hilly event. All components the same product range (shimano 105 5700) and apparently will work together. When the chain is in the 50T chainring it can works through the rear gears fine. When on the 34T chainring the jockey wheel on the rear assembly touches the 28T cassette ring. I've adjusted the B-tension adjuster but to no avail. I'd guess the chain is too short with the new configuration? The plan would be to buy a new chain and make it a link or two shorter than the current one and try that. I was worried the larger cassette may mean I'd need a longer chain before I'd actually fitted it.

arch684

Veteran
My bike came with a 53/39 front and 12-25 rear which has worked well but I decided to change the chainring to a 50/34 and rear cassette to an 11-28 for an upcoming hilly event. All components the same product range (shimano 105 5700) and apparently will work together. When the chain is in the 50T chainring it can works through the rear gears fine. When on the 34T chainring the jockey wheel on the rear assembly touches the 28T cassette ring. I've adjusted the B-tension adjuster but to no avail. I'd guess the chain is too short with the new configuration? The plan would be to buy a new chain and make it a link or two shorter than the current one and try that. I was worried the larger cassette may mean I'd need a longer chain before I'd actually fitted it.
plenty video's on you tube on how to measure and fit a chain

Top Bottom