Cheap 26 Inch Tyres - If anybody still rides 26"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
so I'm going to some narrower tires for my 26" tourer.
looking at some Geax City Runners in 26x1.25
Why would you want this narrow a tyre on a 26" MTB type touring bike? They will roll no better, they will be less comfortable, given you'll have to run them at a higher pressure[Edit: and they'll look odd.] The only benefit might be that they are (a bit) lighter. Get rid of (or minimise) the tread (especially knobblies) - yes. Narrower - ?

Last edited:
Picked up yesterday ^_^

31434937772_851a146fd2_b.jpg

They still have some Schwalbe Table Tops for £4

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYSCTTW/schwalbe-table-top-wired-tyre

Nice one .
And 2.3's as well,even better.

Attachments

• 31434937772_851a146fd2_b.jpg
    31434937772_851a146fd2_b.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 47

bikeman66

I really can't see the problem with 26" wheels! Seems just because 29ers are getting so popular, anyone who rides 26" is suddenly a social leper.

I bought a Conti Trail King for my Scott and totally wish I hadn't. Measures up as a particularly large 2.3 and leaves minimal clearance on the seat stays and chain stays. Probably going to invest in a pair of Vredestein Bull Lock tyres. At 1.7 they'll be spot-on for the sticky, gloopy clay that abounds here on the Isle of Wight. Bargain at a tenner each too!

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Why would you want this narrow a tyre on a 26" MTB type touring bike? They will roll no better, they will be less comfortable, given you'll have to run them at a higher pressure[Edit: and they'll look odd.] The only benefit might be that they are (a bit) lighter. Get rid of (or minimise) the tread (especially knobblies) - yes. Narrower - ?
My best rims are for narrow 26 inch tires, and I find a narrower tire easier when covering greater distances. I am faster on narrower lighter tires, in my case.

bikeman66

My best rims are for narrow 26 inch tires, and I find a narrower tire easier when covering greater distances. I am faster on narrower lighter tires, in my case.
When they were available, some years ago, I used to like Continental Cross Country 1.5"s. Might have looked a bit odd I suppose, but here on the Isle of Wight a lot of the bridleways are made up of clay soils. I used to find that the 1.5"s would cut through the sticky, claggy surface to bite on something a little firmer underneath. Those same trails ridden on 2.1"s or similar would mean slipping and sliding around. The narrower tyres also gave massive frame clearance, minimising the inevitable build up at the brakes (back in the V-brake days) and the chainstay / bottom bracket area. Have traditionally always run my tyres a little on the firmer side anyway, so no problem with pinch flats with the Conti 1.5"s.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
When they were available, some years ago, I used to like Continental Cross Country 1.5"s. Might have looked a bit odd I suppose, but here on the Isle of Wight a lot of the bridleways are made up of clay soils. I used to find that the 1.5"s would cut through the sticky, claggy surface to bite on something a little firmer underneath. Those same trails ridden on 2.1"s or similar would mean slipping and sliding around. The narrower tyres also gave massive frame clearance, minimising the inevitable build up at the brakes (back in the V-brake days) and the chainstay / bottom bracket area. Have traditionally always run my tyres a little on the firmer side anyway, so no problem with pinch flats with the Conti 1.5"s.
Thank you. I shall look into those, as I like Continentals. Being tall and heavy, I prefer the 26 inch option for touring. I modified a Schwinn Impact with drop bars etc., and it functions much like a Surly 26" Long Haul Trucker. It has the taller frame, and can take different wheels for differing situations. It is steel, lightweight, and has all the braze- ons I could imagine.

bikeman66

Thank you. I shall look into those, as I like Continentals. Being tall and heavy, I prefer the 26 inch option for touring. I modified a Schwinn Impact with drop bars etc., and it functions much like a Surly 26" Long Haul Trucker. It has the taller frame, and can take different wheels for differing situations. It is steel, lightweight, and has all the braze- ons I could imagine.
Ahhhh.........the lure of steel! I still love my 1993 Kona Lava Dome. A great quality example of a steel frame......and just a great bike all round in my opinion.

I very much doubt you'll find Continental Cross Country tyres these days (sadly). As I remember, they were available in 1.5, 1.8 and 2.1. I used them, in their various size options,as a good performing all round tyre for most of the year.

I guess tyre technology has moved on considerably, with different compounds etc etc, but if I could find a pair of Cross Country's somewhere I'd still put them on my bike.

Ahhhh.........the lure of steel! I still love my 1993 Kona Lava Dome. A great quality example of a steel frame......and just a great bike all round in my opinion.

I very much doubt you'll find Continental Cross Country tyres these days (sadly). As I remember, they were available in 1.5, 1.8 and 2.1. I used them, in their various size options,as a good performing all round tyre for most of the year.

I guess tyre technology has moved on considerably, with different compounds etc etc, but if I could find a pair of Cross Country's somewhere I'd still put them on my bike.
You obviously didn't know about the brilliance that was Smoke/Dart combo.^_^

bikeman66

You obviously didn't know about the brilliance that was Smoke/Dart combo.^_^
Panaracer Smokes and Darts were a favourite too back in the day, as were the original Specialized Storm Control tyres, the ones with the large teardrop shaped knobs on then. Now that has to be the best mud tyre I used.........and it was a revelation on wet grass. In its 1.8 version, still gave me plenty of clearance too.

Overall though, as a general purpose (if such a thing exists) do it all, year round tyre, the Cross Country's just shade it for me.

To be honest, the vast array of widths, tread patterns, compounds etc etc baffles me these days.

Top Bottom