Child obesity

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
IIRC you heard correctly.
By about 16 you've laid down the total number of fat cells that you'll have in your life time BUT that doesn't mean they can't get bigger later in life .... which is what they often do!
Ahhhhhh that last part wasn't explained and in the context of reading it there was no need for it to be explained .

steve50

Disenchanted Member
I think if one adopts a sedentary lifestyle coupled with a junk food diet the ultimate outcome is you will end up obese, a great many factors throughout our lives will dictate how our weight fluctuates, diet, exercise and lifestyle will feature high on that list

2IT

Everything and everyone suffers in comparisons.
I read something interesting the other day that i didn't know and i'm still not sure about it but it said ......
By the time a person is around 16 years of age their fat cells ( probably the wrong term ) will dictate how fat they can get later in life .
The reason this interested me is because i was always a skinny kid doing gymnastics early on and then rugby and running at school . Now i'm in my 40's i get worried that i'm not putting on weight but according to this information it's because i just cant .
Anyone more edumactated than me have an opinion on this ?

Like you, I am a hard gainer. Have always been thin. Was always playing or working and the refrigerator wasn't close by. Didn't like it in school. Love it now.

Mostly genetic it seems. Though having food and a seat close at hand leads to weight gain.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
In reply to the OP, I was once taught that fat cells in children divide and multiply when the calorie intake is too high. So kids add to the number of fat cells they have and in later life cannot reduce that number. Fat kids become fat adults. The fat cells in adults simply get bigger when the calorie intake is too high. If the intake is too low, they shrink again. So adults can control how fat they are. It sounds credible but whether there is any truth in this is another matter.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
That's also my thinking but i cant seem to put it on no matter what i eat . Then again if i eat crap food for too long then i just feel like shoot so stop eating it . I guess i'm just not strong enough to get fat :cry:
If you are underweight or have any other food-related problem, ask for a referral to a dietician. Ask for the reason to be communicated to the dietician. Keep a full, honest food diary for a week or two before the appointment. The advice is often different to the general public health advice about food and can be quite specific to you.

Top Bottom