Choke my chicken.............

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonk man

is this the best method or is the old chopper ..................

What I am talking about is dispatching hens.... anyone done it and was it nasty?

I have an old clucker that has it would appear to have had a seizure of some sort [or maybe clonked on the head by a big pear from the tree] and is I think probably not going to live much longer and if not back on its feet in the morning is going to have to visit the great dust bath in the sky.

But if I have to do it, which is the best method? Please bear in mind that I do not have an bazooka or hand grenade before you suggest those. ;)

yours in anticipation.................................

wafflycat

If you can, get a vet to do it. It's the most humane way.

There's some discussion here

http://www.pekinbantams.com/community/viewtopic.php?p=152913

domtyler

Über Member
What is the problem? It's only a chicken for gawds sake!
Just grab hold round the neck and give it a good, vigorous shake.

OP
OP
bonk man

bonk man

domtyler said:
What is the problem? It's only a chicken for gawds sake!

So is that the way you usually do it then? Also do you let the other hens see you do this and do they trust you afterwards?

longers

Legendary Member
domtyler said:

It's not as easy as you think. I've stretched the necks of a few cat caught birds and there is a knack to it ;).

Unless you are talking about something else.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I watched my grandad do it once. He thought the most humane way was to knock it senseless several times with a pickaxe handle before stretching its neck. The problem with chickens is its difficult to tell when they're dead.

wafflycat

Sorry, but having to "knock it senseless several times" is NOT humane. It can be done swiftly and humanely. For the OP, look up cone method and broom method.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Yellow Fang said:
I watched my grandad do it once. He thought the most humane way was to knock it senseless several times with a pickaxe handle before stretching its neck. The problem with chickens is its difficult to tell when they're dead.

Don't eat them pink is a good rule of thumb:thumbsup:

djb1971

Legendary Member
Don't do this near the other chickens - it will stress them:

grab the chickens legs/ankles with your right hand and grasp firmly. With your left hand use your index and second finger as a 'v' shape and put the chickens neck into this and place your thumb on the other side of the grasp. Then pull VERY hard in both directions slightly twisting the neck.

This is not as easy as it sounds - if unsure get a vet or another professional murderer type to do it for you.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
VET.........easy/painless not traumatic to you or the bird..... well depends if it's a pet.......erm... don't do it yourself - you'll make a horrible mess and you'll feel like poo !!!

OP
OP
bonk man

bonk man

The vet option is possible but very stressful for the birds apparently, I feel confident enough to do the neck breaking thing or head chopping off with a big sharp knife , not sure about the spade business though...

what ever I do I must not let the wife see it :becool:

perhaps I should practice on the guinea pigs first:ohmy: only joking.. I am a vegetarian and love these cute animals very much... and go on animal rights marches [ etc etc etc etc ]

how long before this turns into a row about animal welfare ?

I will see in the morning .... :boxing:

djb1971

Legendary Member
bonk man said:
how long before this turns into a row about animal welfare ?

People who eat meat of any type should have to dispatch an animal for food at least once in their life or they're hypocrites

Just my opinion :boxing:

besides you're doing it a favour, better than a drawn out lingering death :becool:

Will1985

Über Member
Easy - the young cockerels get it here.

Pretty much as djb1971 says, but we tend to just twist one way. Best to do it at night when they are calm and roosting - pick it up, walk away and dispatch it round the corner. Very important not to let the others see it ever again as they get depressed otherwise, just like when they witness a massacre by foxes....egg count just stops!

Interestingly, one of our donkeys was put down earlier this year and for them, it is important for the surviving companion(s) to see the dead animal lying in the field and then being taken away/buried otherwise they become very depressed and might die themselves from a combination of grief and starvation.

Top Bottom