Choke my chicken.............

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just make sure you do it quickly and painlessly - and that you do it properly.

I found this a while ago and, whilst fascinating, I wish I hadn't - don't read it if you have pet chooks and a weak stomach
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_the_Headless_Chicken

I've done 'the kind thing rather than let it suffer' with pigeons a cat's had and with pheasants and rabbits injured on the road, but when it was one of our chooks we took it to the vet - it's different when it's one of your pets.

Keith Oates

Janner
As a kid I was brought up on a farm and the workers there used to hang the chicken upside down by the legs and then stick an 'army' knife into the mouth and twist. They died fairly quickly as I remember!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
My dad worled as a chicken strangler in his youth* (the 1930s) and from what I remember djb1971 has hit the nail on the head (or should that be 'grabbed the chicken round the neck').

(*I aspired to different things, so decided not to follow this particular career path)

I always thought you put the chicken on the ground with a stick across it's neck then put your feet on either side of the stick before pulling the chicken's body up towards yourself ripping it's head off cleanly.

Whatever you do make sure you don't do it half heartedly or you'll just hurt the thing.

Arch

Married to Night Train
djb1971 said:
People who eat meat of any type should have to dispatch an animal for food at least once in their life or they're hypocrites

Just my opinion :thumbsup:

besides you're doing it a favour, better than a drawn out lingering death :tongue:

Quite right on the meat eaters thing - but bonk man does say he's a veggie...

I've not had to do it myself yet, but I'd like to think if I had to, I could.

wafflycat

I've caught, dispatched & gutted fish.

Going back to the OP - if you have poultry, one of the things you have to be prepared to do is humanely dispatch. There may not be the time to get a hen to the vet for humane dispatch e.g., following fox attack. So you may have to do it yourself to prevent further unnecessary suffering. Hence I have already looked up *how to* in case I am in that position with The Laydeez. It's not something I look forward to. Indeed, I hope I never have to. But if it is necessary, I will do it.

ChrisKH

Guru
I had a friend who worked on a chicken farm pre humane treatment (early 70's) and he had a machine he just hooked them up to by the neck and it did the rest. As a manual method, when required (if machine didn't work) it was considered quickest to take them by the neck and swing it round and execute an emergency stop and let their body weight do the work (so to speak) which broke their neck and despatched them quickly. Probably not considered humane now.

Wobbly Wheels

Funny coming across this. I had to kill a frog this afternoon. Well, I think he was a frog, he was very large. unfortunately, I didn't see him when I pulled in to the drive, so I ran him over. (he was the same colour as the paving)

he was still alive, but in a terrible way, so I had to dispatch him quickly with (funnily enough) the back of a spade. :biggrin:

OP
OP
bonk man

bonk man

We got the vet to do the deed in the end :smile:........ 14 quid and a bit less stress for me..
I sort of set out to do the job a couple of times but couldn't, I suppose it is my vegetarianism that stops me, I don't even eat dairy stuff anymore, mostly because it involves the death of animals.
We will have to get another hen now to fill the gap for the others, they are a bit sad and making henny upset noises:sad:

Top Bottom