Choke my chicken.............

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Commiserations bonk man, I know how it feels, although that heartless lot above will doubtless make some sarky comments.

We only have two, had one put down and had to promptly get another so the single one left didn't pine.
I suppose the problem now is that we have one younger than the other, so when the older one dies we'll have to get a companion for the younger one, who will in-turn now be the older one, and when she dies then we'll have to get a companion for the other...etc forever !

And from 'being sad and making upset henny noises', they'll go into angry squawking and squabbling until the new one finds her place in the pecking order !

Oh well, at least you can now decide whether to get a different breed.
I do like the look of a Light Sussex...

rich p

ridiculous old lush
bonk man said:
We got the vet to do the deed in the end :smile:........ 14 quid and a bit less stress for me..
I sort of set out to do the job a couple of times but couldn't, I suppose it is my vegetarianism that stops me, I don't even eat dairy stuff anymore, mostly because it involves the death of animals.
We will have to get another hen now to fill the gap for the others, they are a bit sad and making henny upset noises:sad:

do they have to kill the animal to get milk, cheese and eggs?

Maz

Guru
Wobbly Wheels said:
Funny coming across this. I had to kill a frog this afternoon. Well, I think he was a frog, he was very large. unfortunately, I didn't see him when I pulled in to the drive, so I ran him over. (he was the same colour as the paving)

he was still alive, but in a terrible way, so I had to dispatch him quickly with (funnily enough) the back of a spade. :sad:
Was he wearing a beret and smelling of garlic?

IGMC...

wafflycat

bonk man said:
We got the vet to do the deed in the end :sad:........ 14 quid and a bit less stress for me..
I sort of set out to do the job a couple of times but couldn't, I suppose it is my vegetarianism that stops me, I don't even eat dairy stuff anymore, mostly because it involves the death of animals.
We will have to get another hen now to fill the gap for the others, they are a bit sad and making henny upset noises:sad:

May I suggest you consider getting an ex-battery hen or two? I've not regretted for one instant getting my two back in April. Lovely creatures, and it's great to see them respond to TLC, feather up and produce glorious eggs. My two follow me around the garden like feathered canines and I love the way they hold a 'conversation'. Speak to them and they answer :smile:, pick them up and they are quite content to be cradled like a baby whilst having their tummy feathers tickled :biggrin:. Anode & Cathode are currently depicted in the 'gallery of spolit hens' on the BHWT website :tongue:

http://www.bhwt.org.uk/

domtyler

Über Member
I'm a little disappointed that you had to call in the vet. I thought of a very quick way to kill it, that would be to stand on its head and then use the blade of a spade of shovel to cut through the neck with one hard chop. Job's a good 'un.

OP
OP
bonk man

bonk man

domtyler said:
I'm a little disappointed that you had to call in the vet. I thought of a very quick way to kill it, that would be to stand on its head and then use the blade of a spade of shovel to cut through the neck with one hard chop. Job's a good 'un.
You really should be in a home.....:sad:

Re the dairy thing , yep they do kill the offspring otherwise we would be fighting them for the milk:wacko: same with goats as well, the billies get the chop. As vegetarian I would find it slightly hypocritical to eat cheese and milk. This is a personal belief and I wouldn't give other vege folk grief over it.

Probably get another hen or 2 to replace this one, she was the big boss bird so there might be a power struggle in the hen house but the second in command is pretty tough so I suppose she will take over the bullying. I think we might well get some rescue ones as we have sinister connections in the animal liberation world :tongue: :biggrin:

Top Bottom