clicking driving me insane!!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threefingerjoe

Über Member
Bike noises can be so hard to diagnose! I once had a clicking sound that turned out to be a shoelace aglet striking the crank! Now, I have a permanent clicking sound....it's my KNEE! ;-)

bpsmith

Veteran
I had a light rattle from the front of my new bike. Had it built up by my bike fit guy and he is always spot on. Was fairly light and coming from the front and checked everything from cables tapping the frame, valves loose in wheel cut out, headset play back and forth, wheel tension, etc.

Turns out that there is a carbon spacer that sits inside the tube and goes around the headset where the headset cap screws in. I assume that it's to keep the shape if the tube or even to keep it all central once tightened. Headset itself was solid as expected. Tiny bit if carbon paste applied and now it's silent!

Amazing how many small pieces link together to create random noises. This time the sound was in the right area, but not the component itself as such. Good fun hunting though. ;)

eck

Über Member
The bolt that holds the crank arm onto the shaft of the BB might be loose. I had the same kind of noise on a recent ride. The experts diagnosed it quickly and did up the bolt. Silence!
Be careful with that one. I recently had what sounds like a similar click. I checked all the usual suspects as above. The LH crank (square taper) seemed a bit loose so I gave the bolt a bit more welly... (you can see where this is going, can't you?).... click still there.... tighten again... clickety click.... and again . You guessed, I had overtightened the crank so much it had cracked at one corner of the square hole. :banghead:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Be careful with that one. I recently had what sounds like a similar click. I checked all the usual suspects as above. The LH crank (square taper) seemed a bit loose so I gave the bolt a bit more welly... (you can see where this is going, can't you?).... click still there.... tighten again... clickety click.... and again . You guessed, I had overtightened the crank so much it had cracked at one corner of the square hole. :banghead:

The torque wrench thread is thataway.....>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
:whistle:

Top Bottom