club cyclist?

club cyclist?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I'm in Sherwood CC. Do 2 club runs and the evening 10. I do like being in the club, got me more fit. I first turned up with flat pedals with straps, baggy trousers with cycle clips, handlebars way too high, seat too low, sat in one place and never moved. That all changed, and some of the people that were faster then me, i am now faster then. If only i had the experience:wacko:

peanut

I used to belong to Wellington Wheelers 5 years ago which was, and I'm sure still is , an excellent cycling club catering for every type of cyclist.
They had several club runs a week and although they had some cat 3/2? racers the main Sunday run never left anyone behind.

Organised some good sportives as well

Wish I could re-join but after a 5 year layoff and piling on 3 extra stone I'm not sure if I could keep up with the Sat family & kids run now !:tongue:

peanut

Paulus said:
I have voted yes to being in a club, because I belong to and ride with my local CTC group. My club that I have belonged to for 12 years, London St. Christophers c.c. and has been in existence since 1930 is in the throws of being wound up. On the last club run there were just two of us who turned up. A shame really.

that's a real shame . Smokin Joe was saying the same about his old CC .
Is it lack of advertising,/organisation ? what ? it surely cannot be because there is a lack of interest in cycling at the moment.
I think a lot of clubs live and die by the enthusiasm and efforts of one or two members whilst the rest of us are happy to make full advantage but perhaps put little back in. I know I am a prime example of that.

Might it be worth trying to organise a series of local charity runs and try and get a few local businesses /employers to sponsor . Perhaps see if staff at the local Banks or Local Authority would cycle .
Might advertise the club and increase the membership :tongue:

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
punkypossum said:
Change to the poll results - have just changed from a "thinking about it" to member of Garstang Cycling Club for the extortionate amount of £5 a year! :biggrin: Would have thought today's drowned rat ride with the meanest, steepest hill x2 in the world would have put me off, but clearly not...

http://www.garstangcyclingclub.net/

Better get used to wearing yellow! :sad:

no worse than ours ;)

edit: poll changed to account for pp's newly found status.

mondobongo

Über Member
A fiver jeez thats value. Just paid my subs this week £20 for a year plus £12 for Third Party Insurance.

alecstilleyedye said:
no worse than ours :eek:

edit: poll changed to account for pp's newly found status.

Hehe, thanks for rectifying poll results! Your jerseys are bad - they even made the computer freeze up and kick me off the web! :biggrin:

And yes mondobongo, it is a bit of a bargain I have to admit!!! :biggrin:

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
punkypossum said:
Hehe, thanks for rectifying poll results! Your jerseys are bad - they even made the computer freeze up and kick me off the web! :biggrin:

i've never understood the orange/green colour scheme, as the macclesfield 'colour' (on the town's crest, local sporting teams, schools etc) is predominantly a darkish royal blue.

stephec

Legendary Member
trio25 said:
So is there anyone in the Bolton area that could recommend me a club?

This is my club - http://lancsroadclub.org.uk/

Something for everyone.

Depending on your ability, there's a novices ride on the 6th September, or give the Sunday runs a go if you've got some miles in your legs already.

If you want to race then Saturday mornings are normally when the racing lads go out for a spin, the runs can get a bit tasty as there's usually a few first and second cat's out.

User1314 said:
Registered on the Forum of my local club today. Skulked about on their site.

Not sure what I want from a Club, though.

So just smelling the air, so to speak.

It's the social cycling that appeals to me at the mo'. Nice to know how fast I am etc but I don't really want to get caught up in a time-pressed environment.

I shall have a muse.

KW? I lurk a bit there...

Top Bottom