Collision in Wakefield on Standbridge Lane - cyclist "ok"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RhythMick

Über Member
I didn't see the collision but walked into the car park of the STAR pub (from SANDAL RUFC) to see a cyclist on the floor next to her bike in the entrance of the car park. The driver of the car was with her but flustered and didn't know what to do. She'd "misjudged the gap and nudged the handlebars".

I ran over to check and offer first aid. Aside from shock (ok once calmed) and pain in lower back she seemed ok. When her fellow riders came back we managed to get her into a chair but she was in pain standing. Police and ambulance called. I took photos and notes and passed my contact details to both the driver and cyclist.

Another example of drivers just not understanding how to behave around cyclists. I asked her to read the highway code when she got home, especially rule 163 - "give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car". I then asked her to tell everyone she knew to try and make sure others don't make the same mistake.

Hope the cyclist is ok.

OP
OP
R

RhythMick

Über Member
Is there something in this approach do we think ?

Punishing drivers for mistakes made doesn't seem to be making any inroads to changing behaviour. Enforcement is difficult and not effective and I'm not convinced it's any kind of deterrent to others. Obviously the driver involved suddenly becomes much more aware of the problems and will hopefully change their behaviour, but wouldn't it be much more effective if those drivers then went on to tell other drivers about their mistake and what the correct behaviour should be ?

I was thinking this when I read about the young driver in Exeter who drove WAY too fast and killed a cyclist crossing the street. Lambasted in the press, justifiably of course but the press took it too far, painted him as some sort of evil monster - when in reality he's probably just a kid who made a stupid (and very costly) mistake. Suddenly it turns into a facebook campaign by his friends defending his character and before we know it, it's "drivers versus cyclists" all over again. How much better would it be if the young driver concerned told his story in public and pleaded for tomorrow's mistakes to be avoided?

Which way was she heading?, as sometimes the traffic there is quite awkward, with the 'back-up' from the mini-roundabouts by ASDA

Coming back from ASDA, towards Barnsley Road, it always seems better to keep on the off-side of traffic there (my own view), bearing in mind the entrance into the Rugby Club & Kingsley Avenue

OP
OP
R

RhythMick

Über Member
That cyclist wasn't killed.
Yes sorry. My bad

Is there something in this approach do we think ?

Punishing drivers for mistakes made doesn't seem to be making any inroads to changing behaviour. Enforcement is difficult and not effective and I'm not convinced it's any kind of deterrent to others. Obviously the driver involved suddenly becomes much more aware of the problems and will hopefully change their behaviour, but wouldn't it be much more effective if those drivers then went on to tell other drivers about their mistake and what the correct behaviour should be ?

I was involved in an accident a few months ago in which a woman pulled out in front of me while I was doing 30mph. I hit the side of her car and caught my head on her door post before going through her drivers window. I was lucky and although I suffered a broken neck, it was stable so I got off lightly. When I got out of hospital I spoke to the policeman and he siad they were happy to prosecute her for undue care and attention, he wanted to know what my thoughts were on this. I told him I thought it was an accident and if she showed remorse and accepted it was her fault I was happy for her not to be prosecuted. He spoke to her and got back to me saying he was happy she had acceoted the blame, he also read me her witness statement and in it she said I was wearing black clothing (it was black top with flourescent yellow stripes on the shoulders) while my helmet was a light brown colour. She also said I was going very quickly (I was below the speed limit) and if i had not been riding in the middle of the road I would have gone around the back of her (I ride in primary position there to stop people ovetaking me on a blind corner and no matter where I was in the road her car is longer than the road is wide so I would have hit here regardless) After hearing this I wonder if she did actually accept it was her fault or if she was trying to put part of the blame on me. To be fair to the traffic officer, he did put her right saying the colour of my clothing makes no difference, I was entitled to be doing the speed I was and my road positioning was what he would expect of an experienced cyclist. But I do wonder if she does actually think that it was not her fault in some way. Fortunately her insurance company have accpeted full liabilty. But if she had been prosecuted or had to take a driver awareness course, would she be a more cyclist aware driver than being let off?

OP
OP
R

RhythMick

Über Member
I was involved in an accident a few months ago in which a woman pulled out in front of me while I was doing 30mph. I hit the side of her car and caught my head on her door post before going through her drivers window. I was lucky and although I suffered a broken neck, it was stable so I got off lightly. When I got out of hospital I spoke to the policeman and he siad they were happy to prosecute her for undue care and attention, he wanted to know what my thoughts were on this. I told him I thought it was an accident and if she showed remorse and accepted it was her fault I was happy for her not to be prosecuted. He spoke to her and got back to me saying he was happy she had acceoted the blame, he also read me her witness statement and in it she said I was wearing black clothing (it was black top with flourescent yellow stripes on the shoulders) while my helmet was a light brown colour. She also said I was going very quickly (I was below the speed limit) and if i had not been riding in the middle of the road I would have gone around the back of her (I ride in primary position there to stop people ovetaking me on a blind corner and no matter where I was in the road her car is longer than the road is wide so I would have hit here regardless) After hearing this I wonder if she did actually accept it was her fault or if she was trying to put part of the blame on me. To be fair to the traffic officer, he did put her right saying the colour of my clothing makes no difference, I was entitled to be doing the speed I was and my road positioning was what he would expect of an experienced cyclist. But I do wonder if she does actually think that it was not her fault in some way. Fortunately her insurance company have accpeted full liabilty. But if she had been prosecuted or had to take a driver awareness course, would she be a more cyclist aware driver than being let off?
That's a fair point. Glad you're OK by the way. My point is that if she had been given an option of "explain on video what happened, how it was your fault and how others could avoid making the mistake" that's a better option than just "oh well let it drop then".

Perhaps I'm being naive.

Last edited:
Top Bottom