Commonwealth Games

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I usually watch it, and in fact, the only year since 1986* that I haven't watched at least some of it was the last one in 2010, and that's only because I was in Hospital.

* - A 4 year old me remembers Liz McColgan winning gold for Scotland!!

Looking forward to see who's performing at tonight's opening ceremony. The only one I know so far is the wonderful Nicola Bennedetti, who has recently added another string to her Stradivarius following lessons from Phil Cunningham and friends.

IDMark2

Dodgy Aerial
Not good enough to compete against the best? Don't worry, here's a competition where you'll all get a chance, we've sorted it, we don't let all the good ones in..Why? Well, because they were the strong ones who wouldn't let us in to rule them you see...or kicked us out. Yah boo US and Russia! Up yours China!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Looking forward to see who's performing at tonight's opening ceremony. The only one I know so far is the wonderful Nicola Bennedetti, who has recently added another string to her Stradivarius following lessons from Phil Cunningham and friends.

Julie Fowlis will be performing too..

format

Über Member
I'm ambivalent about the games themselves, but annoyed at the way Glasgow is being used for the games.

Everyone who lives here is being inconvenienced, and once they are over I'm failing to see any tangible benefits.

That, plus the shambolic 'green credentials' of the games. What a joke.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I didn't have time to watch the Olympics in 2012 and have missed so much sport this year already so should be good. I remember getting just as enthralled watching the AAA Championships from Crystal Palace or the Swimming Championships in the 70s and 80s with people like Alan Wells, Mary Peters and Duncan Goodhew... there was so much less razzamatazz [apart from the Ovett/ Coe hype!].

Athletics and swimming are still those sports which 'just get on with it'.

AndyRM

XOXO
I didn't have time to watch the Olympics in 2012 and have missed so much sport this year already so should be good. I remember getting just as enthralled watching the AAA Championships from Crystal Palace or the Swimming Championships in the 70s and 80s with people like Alan Wells, Mary Peters and Duncan Goodhew... there was so much less razzamatazz [apart from the Ovett/ Coe hype!].

Athletics and swimming are still those sports which 'just get on with it'.

Enjoying 'lesser' sporting occasions? That'll no dae!

D

Deleted member 1258

Totally underwhelmed here, just as I was with the Olympics.

OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Surely an EU Games would be more appropriate than an outdated concept that's pretty meaningless in this day and age?

I have the chance of buying 2 tickets to the athletics on Tuesday evening, but can think of many more things I could do with £100 - but at the same time it might be nice for my younger daughter to go and watch; then again, £100 saved means £100 for bike stuff ;)

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I have the chance of buying 2 tickets to the athletics on Tuesday evening, but can think of many more things I could do with £100 - but at the same time it might be nice for my younger daughter to go and watch; then again, £100 saved means £100 for bike stuff ;)
Take her, it'll be great. Our visit to the Paralympics was a brilliant.

Top Bottom