Compact double or triple chainset, 170mm

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello

As above really. I want a chainset for my 30 year old hybrid bike which I leave locked up in town.

The clapped out one is 30/38t, but I am not ashamed of a granny ring. I could add 50% more gears and get 21! There would be no problem getting 28-32-48 or similar to work, it's a generic triple front mech. I currently have a 121mm square taper BB but I could replace that as the cranks are coming off.

It really doesn't need to be special or lightweight. I just don't want to buy a new one.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I just don't want to buy a new one.

Is that because you have an instinctive hatred of shiny new things, or because you think that it would cost too much? :whistle:

If the latter, then take a look at Spa Cycles - they have them starting at under £40!

I paid a bit more for a very nice Stronglight Impact triple chainset. They have gone up in price since then but are still only £72.

OP
OP
C

chris667

Guru
Well, I like to reuse things when I can. And shiny isn't something I want in this bike anyway.

There must be thousands of chainsets exactly like the one I want.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well, I like to reuse things when I can. And shiny isn't something I want in this bike anyway.

There must be thousands of chainsets exactly like the one I want.

You might end up having to put shiny new chainrings on a non-shiny old chainset though! (Chainsets given to me in the past mostly had worn-out chainrings, which was probably why they were given away in the first place.)

I don't think that I have any spare triples.

Oh, hang on... My cousin gave me some bits for my mountain bike. I'll have a look when I get the chance if nobody else has offered you anything before then. I might have a spare mountain bike chainset, if that would be any use? (Shimano, square taper.)

PS Ah, I just noticed that you want 170mm cranks. It is likely that mine are 175s. I'll check if/when I look at the parts.

OP
OP
C

chris667

Guru
I know. And ironically, it's almost always cheaper to buy the chainset with three rings fitted. Quite depressing, if you think about it.

Top Bottom