Contacted by someone claiming to be from "Quantum PC Support" regarding viruses ... anyone else?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
I had a similar call.

He said, after the waffle about who he was supposed to be. Was; 'Your computer has a virus.' I replied. Which one? This is serious is it a Laptop, Desktop or one of the servers?' That threw him so he said; 'Yes!The Windows OS is corrupted.' I replied; 'The don't use Windows, they're all either Apple or run our own systems... Hang on' I said. 'You do know we are the Durham Police computer Centre?*'

The was a short pause. And a click.

*This was a lie! I know. But the guy was as much a Microsoft representative as I am.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I never get these, dammit.

I just get the recorded ones telling me I could get back PPI on my loan. I've never had a loan. The annoying thing is that it's recorded, so I can't even swear at them....

Oxo

Guru
I've had a number of these calls. I always try to take the conversation round in circles and finish up by asking them to hold the line while I go make a cup of coffee.

The latest one seems to be a string of calls about a car accident in the last three years. You can keep them going for ages asking which car it was and who the insurance company is etc. I see it as saving the next poor sucker on their list to keep them on the line. I've even had the supervisor call me back after their script hit problems.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I keep getting a dodgy call from AOL. They supply my broadband, but a Manchester number keeps coming up with Indian accents. If you google the number it comes up as a reported spam. I am really short with them on the phone. I've told you before I will phone AOL if I want to change my package, and I have no idea who you are. Your number comes up as a scam. They try and back step but I put the phone down. They phoned virtually every day a couple of weeks ago until I had a right ding dong at them

The Scam has been out for ages. Last year I was out on a longish cycle when I got a panicky phonecall from my mother, Microsoft had phoned her but she wasn't pc literate enough to download their link, etc and they would phone back at 8pm when I was home. Surprise, Surprise they never phoned back!

byegad

Legendary Member
I also got a call 'About my accident.'

I asked the 'Gentleman' if it concerned the one where I rammed the Police car, or where I'd ploughed through the bus queue, or the one where I 'fell' down the steps into the Police cells.
He replied. 'Yes.'

So I told him not to be stupid and hung up.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Byegad, I shall try something like your version, if I get any of these calls.

What do you say to the people who ring you to ask if you want 75% of your debt written off?

byegad

Legendary Member
Also Barclays Bank keep emailing me about a security issue 'with my account'.

As I'm from a generation where you didn't bank with Barclays, due to their support of the Apartheid South African regime, I just laugh when they come in.

byegad

Legendary Member
Byegad, I shall try something like your version, if I get any of these calls.

What do you say to the people who ring you to ask if you want 75% of your debt written off?

I say it seems a lot to of trouble to go to to save 75p and anyway what business is it of theirs that I owe the butler £1.

Top Bottom