Contador fails drug test

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Firestorm

Veteran
There are a number of questions for me on this, had Contador been tested previously on the tour, or even in the previous month ? If he had and no traces of Clenbuterol were found that would probably eliminate weight loss as the reason for taking the drug, just leaving its bronchodilation properties as a reason for taking it, which tbh are rarely reasons for doping unless someone is having breathing issues at that time.
Food contamination does seem to be limited to pork in china...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clenbuterol

scook94

Veteran
From the article on road.cc

David Howman, WADA’s director general, told The Associated Press that even the tiniest amount of clenbuterol could lead to action being taken against an athlete, although he was unable to talk about the particular aspects of Contador’s situation.

"The issue is the lab has detected this,” Howman said. “They have the responsibility for pursuing. There is no such thing as a limit where you don't have to prosecute cases. This is not a substance that has a threshold," he continued.

"Once the lab records an adverse finding, it's an adverse finding and it has to be followed up.

"Clenbuterol is a substance that has been used for over 20 to 30 years," Howman continued. "It is not anything new. Nobody has ever suggested it is something you can take inadvertently."

kennykool

Berty boy to hold a news conference today at 10am our time to give his "Version". I am gonna wait and see what he has to say before passing any judgement. I will probably believe anything he says tho. He is my new god!!!!

kennykool

It's a shame that it has become general knowledge before a full investigation and conclusion has been reached!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its always the way tho Keith - Guilty until proved innocent. Its unfortuately the nature of the beast that has been created over the years. Posters on here are always quick to question a great performance by a rider. It's down to "porridge" most of the time.

I always like to believe that these riders are clean until proved otherwise. But i suppose i am fairly new to cycling and am not cynical.......yet!!!!!!

PaulB

Legendary Member
Surely this is an irrelevant non story. 400 times less than anti-doping laboratories accredited by the World Anti-Doping Agency (Wada) must be able to detect! That is so insignificant, it cannot be worth pursuing. Not when he continually came up negative in previous and subsequent testings. This is pedantic nit-picking of the worst sort and could turn out to embarrass the credibility of the sport more than if they'd discovered an amount 400 times more concentrated than that they actually detected. What are they doing? Showing off at how miniscule the amount they can detect? My, aren't they clever!

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
It's a shame that it has become general knowledge before a full investigation and conclusion has been reached!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
That's because Contador issued a press release with the full details.
Both his A and B samples have been tested and he's not contesting their accuracy.
He's been suspended from racing.

So how exactly is he 'guilty until proven innocent'? Who exactly is to blame for this being public knowledge being as it was Contador that released the information?

Funny how the cheat apologists are always Armstrong fans.

Keith Oates

Janner
I wondered how long it would be before his name was linked into the thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

monkeypony

Surely this is an irrelevant non story. 400 times less than anti-doping laboratories accredited by the World Anti-Doping Agency (Wada) must be able to detect! That is so insignificant, it cannot be worth pursuing. Not when he continually came up negative in previous and subsequent testings. This is pedantic nit-picking of the worst sort and could turn out to embarrass the credibility of the sport more than if they'd discovered an amount 400 times more concentrated than that they actually detected. What are they doing? Showing off at how miniscule the amount they can detect? My, aren't they clever!

Well said that man.

Not a Contador fan myself but feel very sorry for him and the damage this will have done to his reputation.

kennykool

How does any doping scandal always manage to get LA brought up

Lets look at the facts here - ALBERTO CONTADOR has tested positive!! They werent even on the same team this year!

WTF has that got to do with LA - get over yourself!

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Willy Voet on Clenbuterol -

"Banned from the market in France, Clenbuterol is one of the most powerful hormones when it comes to developing muscular mass. Beef rearers are well aware of its properties: the more meat they can sell, the more money they make. It can give spectacular muscle growth. To work out its effects precisely, we needed a guinea-pig, but it couldn't be one of the riders. They are so happy to be given something new that they tend to lose all restraint and the whole pelelon knows exactly what's happening over the next few weeks. We found the right man soon enough: me. Before the Dauphine Libere in 1996 I took ten pills over seven days, then urinated conscientiously into a jar from days five to eight after taking the final pill. The whole works was then sent to a laboratory in Ghent. The Clenbuterol had been eliminated from my system by day eight. For a cyclist, who will get rid of chemicals far more quickly than someone sedentary like me, the period was still shorter.

And the effects were felt almost immediately. Three hours after I took the first pill, I began shivering. I had the impression that my lungs were swelling, that I had a new battery somewhere in the system. I felt confident, full of energy, strong as a bull - on hormones. The effects lasted for more than a month, effects which we used with good results in the big Tours after that."

e-rider

crappy member

yes, it would be interesting to know the limit of detection and the limit of quatification for the instrument used for analysis. It does seem like more media nonsense to me.

Top Bottom