Contador fails drug test

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

philipbh

Spectral Cyclist
Good summary of the rules over at the "Inner Ring" blog.

Essentially, if he can prove he's not at fault, the ban can be reduced - but there is still a ban for a positive test.

But...doesn't section 10.3 apply - unintentional use of Specified Substances

If AC establishes that the level of Clenbutarol in his samples is at a level that could not enhance performance (see PaulB's comment) - then as a first offence the best he can hope for is a reprimand - the worst is still a one year ban

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
yes, it would be interesting to know the limit of detection and the limit of quatification for the instrument used for analysis. It does seem like more media nonsense to me.
It's more than media nonsense.

Contador has been suspended by the UCI and will almost certainly be banned and stripped of his Tour win. He tested positive for a banned substance, there is no precedent as far as I know where the offence is mitigated because the amount was very small, and neither does it matter how he ingested it. Saying he eat contaminated meat will not wipe out the offence, all it could do is shorten the length of the ban if he is believed. (Bearing in mind they Didn't buy Landis's story about beer).

rich p

ridiculous old lush
yes, it would be interesting to know the limit of detection and the limit of quatification for the instrument used for analysis. It does seem like more media nonsense to me.

The lab has found contamination in both samples, the UCI have provisionally suspended him and Bertie leaks the information himself by informing the media that he is holding a press conference today.

How do you blame the media?

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Do you mean picodosing?

Yeah whatever :thumbsup:

[spod alert] It's not that small an amount, 50 pg(per microlitre I assume), as it goes- only eight times less than the 'threshold' as stated. Not that I know much (if anything) about PED use but it is easily detectable by modern (in fact not even that modern] instrumentation. Standard specs on instruments even ten years old measure down to the tens of femtogram level. I wonder why there is a seemingly arbitary threshold in use?[/spod alert]

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Think it was a rest day - he slept like a baby
Was he doping with Tixilix?

biking_fox

Guru
I wonder why there is a seemingly arbitary threshold in use?

Becasue at some level the amount of drug you have in your system has absolutely no effect whatsoever on performance. As instrument sensitivity increases (generally every year you can detect smaller amounts than the year before if you keep buying new kit), you will reach a point where you can measure things that have no biological significance. We're already at that level for some pollutants and toxins such as arsnic. I don't know about drugs because they can be much trickier, and whether it's in blood or urine or water makes a lot of difference.

There is also the difference between detected and quantified. Most instruments have a level of detection lower than the smallest amount they can accurately measure.

Personally I'm guessing guilty - if the Voet article is accurate, there was performance improvement for sometime after the drug could no longer be measured. So Bertie takes it on the rest day, hopes it all pisses out, and still has the benefit for the next few days.... However 50 picogram isn't very much! I would like to know what concentration / dose it equates to.

montage

God Almighty
Dissappointed.....but then again, half the people on here said bertie looked like he was definately riding clean this tour, and he did look it. Surely if Bertie was doping and Andy was clean, Bertie would have taken time out of Andy on the Tourmalet, which could mean either Bertie wasn't doping, or Schleck was as well......or that Schleck is one of the best climbers ever to walk this planet

davefb

Guru
perhaps they should test members of the public for stuff like this,, to get 'baselines'..

err assuming they dont ;)

montage

God Almighty
Seeing as he failed all the other drug tests in that tour, I strongly believe that he is clean (2009 may be a different story though)
Shame, I wanted to see him win the three tours next year - or at least try

Top Bottom