Contador fails drug test

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adam23

not sure what to think any more on people getting caught doping, didnt 3 riders get caught this month for doping.
at least i know who won the tt with out watching it now soe one posted in this thead after i avoided the other threads :sad:

philipbh

Spectral Cyclist
So many of Armstrong's former team-mates have tested positive after leaving his teams. Could it be that Postal and Discovery had such sophisticated methods of avoiding detection that riders became complacent and when they went to other teams with less advanced methods in place they were rumbled?

You might be on to something here - trying to replicate previous results without being in possession of all the knowledge and / or technology would certainly account for it.

What was damning (for me at least) was hearing AC say something like - you have to question the system [of testing]

If its a genuine occurrence, surely better to stick to that (even if he was lying) vs. questioning the testing regime?

raindog

er.....
http://www.velonatio...content=Twitter

It's now being claimed there is evidence of 10 times the normal level of 'plasticizers' in his blood a day before the positive. Plasticizers are used in blood bags. Doesn't look good for him.

Good grief - this is serious stuff.

From the article....

When asked if it was a serious issue for cycling, he suggested that it could be wider than that. “You can ask the question if it is a cycling problem or a problem of organised sports,” he said. “I think the UCI has a problem and a president who lies"
http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/5...Nation.com)&utm_content=Twitter#ixzz112bDfsJQ

rich p

ridiculous old lush
So many of Armstrong's former team-mates have tested positive after leaving his teams. Could it be that Postal and Discovery had such sophisticated methods of avoiding detection that riders became complacent and when they went to other teams with less advanced methods in place they were rumbled?

That has been the theory going round for a number of years. Seems likely.

philipbh

Spectral Cyclist
Good grief - this is serious stuff.

From the article....

A bit reductive though, isn't it?

PM - I dont know what you are talking about

JS - PM @ UCIis a liar

Clearly PM wants to control the release of information and on his time table - not to be forced by a journalists enquiry ahead of the time, thereby losing control of the "narrative"

raindog

er.....
By serious I meant the fact that Seppelt has oppenly called PM a liar.

Not looking too good for Berto if it's true about the plasticizers being detected.

philipbh

Spectral Cyclist
By serious I meant the fact that Seppelt has openly called PM a liar.

Not looking too good for Berto if it's true about the plasticizers being detected.

Agree on both counts -

Time for PM to go and go quickly (as they say in politics) or face some serious scrutiny over his stewardship of the UCI

Tynan

Veteran
denying - that is what innocent people do, as well as guilty

trace - from that voets book, the whole game was to take things that were a benefit but things that you could get through tests, so the trace points back to something that was of benefit earlier I suppose, you have to magine that the drugging experts are alwasys one step ahead

who knows, no-one quite possibly

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
denying - that is what innocent people do, as well as guilty

They do, but they don't come out with outlandish excuses about dead brothers, beer or gifts of meat.

Tynan

Veteran
sure but sometimes that's the truth

not saying he's innocent just saying that endless denials in the face of evidence isn't a sign of guilt

tigger

Über Member
[QUOTE 1195680"]

Where does it all go from here?
[/quote]

10 years from now - more of the same

I've a novel idea, how about just legalising performance enhancement?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
10 years from now - more of the same

I've a novel idea, how about just legalising performance enhancement?
Which means that anyone who wasn't prepared to risk his life by consuming ever increasing amounts of more and more powerful stimulants could forget about a career in pro cycling.

As novel ideas go, it's a non starter.

yello

who knows, no-one quite possibly

Not us mere mortals that's for sure. But, my word, the speculation is fun!

Re the plasticizers; they are chemicals used to soften plastic. There are amounts of plasticizers in varying degrees in many plastics, such as gel tubes, drink bottles, etc. Simple infusion of products from such plastic containers is unlikely to lead to significant amounts of it entering the blood system. Transfusion of blood from a soft plastic bag, however, would do the trick. Plasticizers themselves are clearly not a banned substance, they are not 'performance enhancing'! And they are no smoking gun. They do not tell you what the 'soft plastic bag' contained (if indeed you can show they came from a blood bag). Certainly, in context, they are a pointer to blood doping but not proof. It's like finding syringes and blood bags in the team's trash; less than that imho.

More importantly, the test for plasticizers is apparently not approved/ratified. So my guess is that the 'Contador blood doped' will remain speculation and wont be acted upon. I reckon they'll take action over the clenbutoral though.

I am somewhat intrigued to know how the German TV station ARD were able to get these "exact values", how they even knew of the positive test, but that's a side issue and somewhat irrelevant.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Which means that anyone who wasn't prepared to risk his life by consuming ever increasing amounts of more and more powerful stimulants could forget about a career in pro cycling.

As novel ideas go, it's a non starter.

Hardly a non starter. It's exactly what is happening now. Doesn't seem to be putting people off taking part.

Top Bottom