Contador not doing Giro

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
At least that's what the BBC say
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/cycling/7696002.stm

Spanish rider Alberto Contador will miss next year's Giro d'Italia and may also skip the Spanish Vuelta to focus on winning the Tour de France.

I expect we'll have lots of noise, bluff and bluster and then an announcement saying that St Lance will not be doing the Tour because of the attitude of ASO, the media, the French people, etc, etc and their 'lack of respect' for him (yawn !)

But that'll be a week or two - I'm coming round to agreeing with whoever it was who suggested that there was an announcement a week coming out of Astana/LA/Bruyneel, just keeping-up the tempo of the whole publicity circus.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Don't we already know that Lance is doing the Giro and not the Tour? This is surely related to that...

Tetedelacourse

Yep we do know that FM but I'm thinking about it from Bert's point of view - he won 2 grand tours this year, he's what 24? He should have enough hunger, stamina and support to bag more than one in 2009. I think. I suppose that doesn't fit with Bruyneel's approach though.

mondobongo

Über Member
Bruyneels obviously thrashed out a deal. Scared of losing Contador if he is not supported at the Tour and with armstrong probably only back for a year suggest to armstrong he does the Giro keeping Contador sweet and on side for the future.

This is assuming that ASO actually invite Astana to their events next season.

Noodley said:
It's been obvious since Lance indicated he was too scared to take on the Tour clean that Alberto would not be riding the Giro
rotf.gif

Skip Madness

Tetedelacourse said:
Yep we do know that FM but I'm thinking about it from Bert's point of view - he won 2 grand tours this year, he's what 24? He should have enough hunger, stamina and support to bag more than one in 2009. I think. I suppose that doesn't fit with Bruyneel's approach though.
Well, if he ignores the Giro and goes for the Tour he either a) wins and can go for the Vuelta if he still thinks he can, or :ohmy: loses the Tour but can still salvage his season in Spain. Riding all-out for the Giro could potentially take it out of him for the Tour, so it is best to get the big one out of the way first I suppose, and then come back for the Vuelta if he has it in him.

He turns 26 in December, apparently.

Keith Oates

Janner
That's exctly he was reported ot have said in a recent article I read. He will make the TdF his No.1 target and then after that decide whether or not to go to the Vuelta. Makes sense to me and should reduce any conflict within Astana providing Vino doesn't show up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kennykool

Noodley said:
It's been obvious since Lance indicated he was too scared to take on the Tour clean that Alberto would not be riding the Giro

Noodley - calm down with the pointing at Lance. It was funny when it was other riders....you've crossed a line now ;)

Not sure that Contador NOT riding the Giro has anything to do with his lack of hunger. He clearly wants top prepare properly for the Tour to give himself the best chance of winning. Just as Lance did SEVEN years in a row.

Bruyneel knows what he's doing with Team Astana....they'll clean up at all the grand tours this year IMO Lance will win the Giro - i'm gonna put money on that actually!

mondobongo

Über Member
Will be interesting to see what they clean up if they have to bow to Khazak pressure and take Vino onto the team.

kennykool

Surely if they take Vino on board then they won't get an invite to the Tour anyway.

Dunno if they would take the chance of not getting an invite! Would be a great shame if Contador didn't get to ride the Tour again through no fault of his own!!!

BTW.....Chuffy.......Very funny. I like this pointy guy!! ;)

Top Bottom