Cookson: Sports that believe they don't have doping problems are in denial

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Both codes?

RFU have a WADA compliant policy, test amateurs and semi-pros and are pretty transparent about outcomes

I think the amateur game is cleaner now than it was when I played BUT modern players are gym bunnies and, away from their rugby club, where there are free weights there you will often find PED users ime.

Both codes?

RFU have a WADA compliant policy, test amateurs and semi-pros and are pretty transparent about outcomes

I think the amateur game is cleaner now than it was when I played BUT modern players are gym bunnies and, away from their rugby club, where there are free weights there you will often find PED users ime.
It was the Australian scandal that I was initially thinking about and also at a club level I know someone involved in the sport who after me introducing him to doping in cycling began to see big changes in physique with a degree more suspicion. I think in particular he was concerned about youth development, especially as his own sons are involved in the game.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
It was the Australian scandal that I was initially thinking about and also at a club level I know someone involved in the sport who after me introducing him to doping in cycling began to see big changes in physique with a degree more suspicion. I think in particular he was concerned about youth development, especially as his own sons are involved in the game.
Yep. Like I said; the modern game requires gym bunnies. And people like shortcuts.

Watched the snowboarding, a bit too laid back for me, all a bit casual and of course entirely subjective. The Skiathlon was a bit more like it, proper effort as always, disappointed to see Johaug coming 4th, not long enough for her, she needs to do the men's distances. Quite why they don't ski the same distance as the men is a puzzle, but then the FIS is run by men.

The Couch

Über Member
Watched the snowboarding, a bit too laid back for me, all a bit casual and of course entirely subjective. The Skiathlon was a bit more like it, proper effort as always ...
All sports where there are (partial) points for style are (a bit) subjective (e.g. diving, racewalking...).
If you fancy good efforts, take a look as well at the (long-track) speed skaters

But since when did this thread became about Winter olympics? :smile:
Never expected to see someone from the UK banned from competing in the Bobsleigh though :laugh:
Apparently there have been 3 Belgian Footballers busted for using Cannabis... I guess that's why it took us so long till we were reaching any decent international level recently, every one was chilling on some weed ;)
Seems another example that in football cannabis would be the only substance being (ab)used??

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Watched the snowboarding, a bit too laid back for me, all a bit casual and of course entirely subjective. The Skiathlon was a bit more like it, proper effort as always, disappointed to see Johaug coming 4th, not long enough for her, she needs to do the men's distances. Quite why they don't ski the same distance as the men is a puzzle, but then the FIS is run by men.
Sunjective sports are fine. so long as GB wins medals in them.

I'd love to see style marks added to, say, the four-man-bob, or the downhill skiing, where the winning margins are tiny.;)

resal

Veteran
I was quite happy to let this one go by. Undoubtedly other sports are riddled with drugs but do nothing about the problem. I was critical of Cookson sending in the hit men to seize ( ask Pat to bring his laptop back into the office) the past President's electronic communication files days after. Now I see this -
"Asked to reflect on the demise of Armstrong generally, Cookson said: "That reputational damage, I think that's probably what is eating at Lance Armstrong now as much as the fact he apparently wants to compete in masters level triathlon.

"I think he's probably sitting at home pretty bruised and thinking, 'Well, you know, I was a hero and now I'm not'. That's the lesson I think the world should learn from Lance Armstrong."
At http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cycling...rugs-denial-20140207-327hk.html#ixzz2t32rTdra

Now I am angry again. Cookson - the last thing a 42 year old, multi-millionaire, that spent years testing himself athletically is desperate to do is a triathlon. This is a smoke screen by his legal team.

Get the numpties to focus on the wrong thing whilst we waltz off with the swag bag.

"I was a hero and now I am not." Boo, hooo. How about - "I stole a whole shed load of people's livlihoods. I lied in court, I lied in books that made a fortune. I destroyed people's lives and trashed people's reputations not because I had to but because I could." This guy needs to be treated like the criminal he is. If he can't be bothered to confess, don't get worked up about it. Instead of putting some effort into trying to give him a forum to be back in the spotlight and justifying his version of his actions, how about sorting out how to sequestrate some of the money he stole ? OK so the UCI have no financial jurisdiction, ok Brian, so at least do something you have jurisdiction over, wipe out his World Championship win on the basis that he is a serial liar and can't be trusted.
Certainly he would have been on the juice in 93 because he worked with Carmichael when he was a Junior and Carmichael was using Shane Sutton's past soigneur Angus Fraser to inject the USA Junior's whether they liked it or not, around this time. (Yep, I am putting another dot on the page again for people who believe in unicorns.)

http://velonews.competitor.com/2006/04/news/six-years-later-strock-case-comes-to-court_9763

Carmichael settled earlier out of court. Yes I am sure he did.

Wipe out everything he won and then if he wants to come to the table with a full confession of absolutely everything ask him to put forward a bond to cover expenses and the UCI might consider it. Convene the panel to study it at Hincapie's hotel. Hincapie was the only one of Wenzel's Junior squad of 1990 that did not file a law suite. Angus didn't overdo it with big George.

All sports where there are (partial) points for style are (a bit) subjective (e.g. diving, racewalking...).
If you fancy good efforts, take a look as well at the (long-track) speed skaters

But since when did this thread became about Winter olympics? :smile:

Apparently there have been 3 Belgian Footballers busted for using Cannabis... I guess that's why it took us so long till we were reaching any decent international level recently, every one was chilling on some weed ;)
Seems another example that in football cannabis would be the only substance being (ab)used??
This is an excellent question, I don't have the faintest idea..................but then I never do.
I can only assume I thought I was somewhere else, as you were :blush:

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Thought this was interesting.

088_021614_DATA_Website_0.jpg

Top Bottom