County boundary lines challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Essex. It's the only way

Boundary with Hertfordshire near Langley Lower Green

1694280701221.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Willd

Willd

Veteran
Four Shires Stone
Nice to see it without scaffolding ^_^

When I was a teacher on the of the Senior Teachers was a Geography teacher

He told us something in perfect sincerity once

You know when you drive along a road and it says
"you are leaving Wales" - obviously insert any county/country name

but then there is a significant gap before you see "Welcome to England"

well - he told us that the signs are in the right place and the gap between them is caused by the thickness of the line on the official map showing the official border location
Apparently once county/country ends at one edge of the line and the other doesn;t start until you get to the other edge of the line!!

This was from a Geography teacher - who had a proper degree in the subject and had done a proper degree level course in map making!
so it must be right

I should add that his wife - who was Head of Geography - was sitting in the same group at the time and I glanced at her while he was explaining this - and she was rolling her eyes - don;t know why - probably not connected.

FrothNinja

Veteran
Three shires post ridden past it loads but never noticed it before.

View attachment 725852

View attachment 725853

View attachment 725854

View attachment 725855

The new glasses are paying dividends 👓^_^

OP
OP
Willd

Willd

Veteran
Special kudos to anyone that can bag the Lincolnshire-Northants county line, the shortest in the UK.
I'm aiming to go to Lincolnshire later in the year (when this 'orrible cold wind has disappeared :thumbsdown: ).

My target is the Rutland / Lincolnshire border which isn't too far away from this and I reckon I could get to within (on a road-bike) about 150m of the Lincolnshire / N'hants border. :okay:

Top Bottom