County boundary lines challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)

Well I'm still none the wiser, given that the first post on that link has no content.

OP
OP
Willd

Willd

Veteran
Haven't heard of this before - anything to do with these worthy chaps: https://abcounties.com/ ?

No, I'm just cycling to as many different counties as I can :smile: I'm just using modern boundaries and not getting too hung up about the different definitions - historic, modern etc. :stop:

The other thread is / was a challenge to visit 26 places in alphabetical order. I think the original poster no longer visits here, so the first post has been removed. :okay:

Mike_P

Guru
As a further variant thinking of road names, being potentially more achievable over winter, but with an added twist of their being something notable on the road so ruling out pure suburban roads etc. The first three having a school, police station and recreational garden on them.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Being aware of county boundaries was important during some lockdown stages. I live in Oxfordshire but am very near the border with Berkshire - for a while Oxfordshire was at a lower level of lockdown than Berkshire meaning it was not only possible but probable that a small group of cyclists (6 max) could legally start a ride from my village and within less than two miles along bridleways or byways find themselves flouting the law in Berkshire, where such groups were forbidden. There are no county boundary markers and even people I spoke to who have ridden extensively around the area didn't know where the borders were, with some being part-way along well-used tracks. Of course practically the risks of both COVID transmission and being caught in the wrong place were very small, but ignorance is supposedly not a defence, and we do come across rural police vehicles every now and then.

13 rider

Guru
As a further variant thinking of road names, being potentially more achievable over winter, but with an added twist of their being something notable on the road so ruling out pure suburban roads etc. The first three having a school, police station and recreational garden on them.
A road names thread does exist somewhere

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Being aware of county boundaries was important during some lockdown stages. I live in Oxfordshire but am very near the border with Berkshire - for a while Oxfordshire was at a lower level of lockdown than Berkshire meaning it was not only possible but probable that a small group of cyclists (6 max) could legally start a ride from my village and within less than two miles along bridleways or byways find themselves flouting the law in Berkshire, where such groups were forbidden. There are no county boundary markers and even people I spoke to who have ridden extensively around the area didn't know where the borders were, with some being part-way along well-used tracks. Of course practically the risks of both COVID transmission and being caught in the wrong place were very small, but ignorance is supposedly not a defence, and we do come across rural police vehicles every now and then.

I remember wondering about that at the time, given that Berkshire hasn't existed as an administrative area for more than 20 years.

OP
OP
Willd

Willd

Veteran
Oxfordshire (most northerly bit) added today. The Tripoint of Warwickshire, Northamptonshire and Oxfordshire is in the middle of nowhere, so nothing much to photograph there.

1636214337386.png

There is a Three Shires farm (plus plough collection), so presumably it's on their land.

DSCF0060.jpg

Actually found a boundary sign ^_^ HS2 workings have destroyed the Northamptonshire one :rolleyes:
DSCF0062.jpg

Warwickshire
DSCF0067.jpg

Northamptonshire
DSCF0061.jpg

Oxfordshire
DSCF0059.jpg

Tally so far -
Leicestershire
Northamptonshire
Oxfordshire
Warwickshire