Covid... again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rivers

How far can I go?
I'm currently coming back from my second bout of covid. I had it fairly mildly in October and bounced back quite quickly. It knocked me on my arse in early June though (most likely not helped by a very busy time at work that saw me working 14 hour days for 2+ weeks, a 2.5 hour commute, and having a 5 month old). I had 3 solid weeks off the bike and started back with a couple of very easy turbo sessions from my coach (anything from 15-45 minutes in zone 1). I went for what is usually an easy 40 mile ride with one climb (Burrington Combe), and I had to have a rest halfway up. Feel like I've been hit by a truck. I've been struggling with fatigue, lingering cough, chest pain. Not very good really. My FTP is down as well. I know I need to give it time and not overdo it, but I'm still struggling.
Don't know why in posting, just need to have a rant. I miss training and riding like I usually do. And with a now 6 month old, my evening sessions were an escape for me for an hour or so

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Hang in there and hopefully some patience and time and you’ll be back to your usual self.

newts

Veteran
Things will improve, it just takes time. I've learnt you can't push the fatigue too hard, it wipes you out for a few days if you do. I'm alomst 12 months post covid, the chest pain lasted around 3 months, comes back if i overdo it though. The anxiety about not doing what you did previously is there, short easy rides to give you the endorphin boost certainly helps.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
14h work day for 2 weeks? What the hell do you do for a living? Put together iPhones in China? Sounds like changing your job/employer could give you better health benefits than any amount of riding.

OP
OP
rivers

rivers

How far can I go?
14h work day for 2 weeks? What the hell do you do for a living? Put together iPhones in China? Sounds like changing your job/employer could give you better health benefits than any amount of riding.

I work in a university and provide tech support for student productions (all assessed work). My usual team of 3 is currently a team of me. Normally, it would be split between 3 of us (so we each get 3-5 long days followed by a week off)- it's much easier to have the same technician covering the same set of assessments (one point of contact for all the students on that module) as we know the shows and tech requirements and have done both the tech rehearsal and dress rehearsal before the evening performance. But it didn't happen and everyone knew if I went down, sh*t would hit the fan- it did. The tech support for the 3 biggest performances was lacking shall we say.
Not my line manager's fault as he was harping on to HR to get the job adverts out and they didn't get them out in time (and when they finally got them out, there were no suitable applicants so still just me)

Gillstay

Über Member
I work in a university and provide tech support for student productions (all assessed work). My usual team of 3 is currently a team of me. Normally, it would be split between 3 of us (so we each get 3-5 long days followed by a week off)- it's much easier to have the same technician covering the same set of assessments (one point of contact for all the students on that module) as we know the shows and tech requirements and have done both the tech rehearsal and dress rehearsal before the evening performance. But it didn't happen and everyone knew if I went down, sh*t would hit the fan- it did. The tech support for the 3 biggest performances was lacking shall we say.
Not my line manager's fault as he was harping on to HR to get the job adverts out and they didn't get them out in time (and when they finally got them out, there were no suitable applicants so still just me)

Yep my partners doing similar for a University teaching nurses. Got covid, quite ill, on holiday time and yet still marking ! No one else is going to do it ! Students rate the course and Uni so if its not done no results or late and it all goes down hill. Also she got the new strain so I was just getting over the old one and now have that one. Twice in 5 weeks. Managed one cycle ride in all that time. Pissed off.

CXRAndy

Guru
I reckon I've COVID last week despite negative LF tests. Similar symptoms to last time I had it 18 months ago. Cold like symptoms with cough and sore ribs-short of breath. I've dropped my Zwift racing and opted to ebike riding to keep a base of fitness with more weight training

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Universities all have staffing problems, like most businesses. Thing is, with working in one, you are close to many people for some periods of time, and the odds are stacked against you not getting it.

I'm seeing people catching it from long exposure, and also in confined spaces - train's and planes being one prime example, where five people I know have caught it that way.

dicko

Guru
Went to my diabetic clinic on Tuesday, saw the nurse, caught Covid now so has the the Mrs. However we have plenty of wine and freezer full of food all the stuff to redecorate the bathroom and not feeling that bad either.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
My son felt under the weather on Sunday and tested positive by lateral flow test yesterday afternoon.

He had it very mildly last time. This time, he had to crawl from bedroom to toilet at 6am with a fever of 39.5 C, and is now living next to a sick bowl.

My daughter tested negative earlier but has just been sent home from school feeling awful. She gets antivirals (if needed) so we'll be keeping a v close eye on her.

I'm supposed to be doing a charity event this weekend. What are the odds that all 4 if us have it by then?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I suspect that I am currently getting over another dose of Covid. I have run out of test kits so I didn't check at the time but this feels similar to the other times. Each infection was on the mild side but took me many weeks to get over. I have been feeling rough for over a month now.

Ironically, I got the invite for Covid and flu booster jabs a few days after getting ill. I will wait a month after recovering from this illness before having them.

Milzy

Guru
Think it’s going around our area. I’ve had symptoms like the old Covid but with longer more intense headaches. Looking at screens/phones makes them even worse.

Top Bottom