Cracking birthday present from in-laws

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I have to add that having started road cycling with Look Keos, I gave up on them in disgust six months ago and went over to Shimano SPD-SL, which are massively superior in quality. My (and my son's and my cycling buddy's) Keos were disastrously poor, they wore out, the bearings became stiff and the cartridges unscrewed from the bodies. I sent them back to Wiggle twice and even emailed the product manager at Look who replied that he uses them and finds them fine. We have all fitted SPD-SLs and our troubles have ended.

OP
OP
simon the viking
As op... Not booked it yet as fully booked at moment and only book 4 weeks in advance... Next session they are booking for is Christmas eve... So got to ring at end of November... Think there is some other activities using it in December as it's a concert venue as well

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
I have looked in the emoticons and there isn't one that shows just how jealous I am of your great pressy, having said that, I also have great in-laws. EVERY year for forty + years, my dear old mum in law bought me a packets of Sobraine Black Russian cigarettes, EVERY birthday, EVERY Christmas, a pack would come to me wrapped up and given with a big smile. All because they were what I was smoking on the 1st occasion we met, and she actually knew what they were, so they became an ice breaking topic of conversation. I never had the heart to tell her I didn't actually like them. :eek:

OP
OP
simon the viking
****** THREAD RESURRECTION ALERT*****
Finally booked this and went today.... took a while to get in its very popular!

Err.... I thought I was reasonably fit but I felt a bit like 'fat lad at the back'.... part of it was fitness level a lot in the group were time trialers and triathlon people... and part was confidence.... not used to riding in a group as most of my miles are commuting.....

Loved it though.... don't I've had the same mix of excitement/sheer terror before....... got up to the top of banking for short spurts.... but was very wary of slowing down the clearly more confident/faster riders....

Passed stage 1 and can go on to stage 2 but will probably get fitness level/speed up and do level 1 again as he explained how they get you just a wheel behind the bike in front on stage...... so want to faster before I go to stage 2 and he advised not leaving it much longer than a month between 1 and 2....

If anyone is thinking about doing a session at velodrome..... DO IT...... but you have to respect the track.... the banking is 44 degrees and looks really steep when standing next to it.....

13 rider

Guru
It's brilliant if a bit scary :eek:
As stated in first reply in thread I was correct :okay:
Stage 2 has a lot more riding in pairs and team pursuit riding so you need to be confident about riding on someone's wheel . So if not sure do stage 1 again second time on the track I just stopped thinking about the track as confidence came and you just got used to the track
Glad you enjoyed it

OP
OP
simon the viking
The instructor said some people cross it off their bucket list and never move up.... no one thinks any less of them.... but I want to go on and do more stages.... but think ill definitely do stage 1 again to get a bit more confidence

13 rider

Guru
The instructor said some people cross it off their bucket list and never move up.... no one thinks any less of them.... but I want to go on and do more stages.... but think ill definitely do stage 1 again to get a bit more confidence
I done 1 and 2 was advised to do 2 again before moving to 3 as that sound full on with 2 team pursuit shoulder to shoulder changing both front riders . Not sure if I will do anymore

Stage 3 is a massive step up. I thought I was relatively fit but man! It gets tougher.

OP
OP
simon the viking
Stage 3 is a massive step up. I thought I was relatively fit but man! It gets tougher.

I reckon I'll do 1 again and then 2 then see how I feel...... not sure I could keep the pace up..... perhaps I was naive but I intended to do stages 1 to 4 then go to open track sessions...... I didn't think about my personal fitness level.........

But the sessions aren't crazy money so I could keep going to the accreditation sessions and only move myself up when I was happy with my performance.... A good reason to get fitter... However the problem seems to be booking a place... always fully booked.....

The pace set buy the others I did it with was blistering. I found that most people go with others so ride together. Unfortunately I went on my own so felt a bit "last one to be picked at school" when paired up,so was just eaten alive. Also being a bit thick I struggled to understand some of the formation changes that were explained before doing part 3. I pick it up easier if shown first but I felt a bit awkward asking on the briefing as everyone else seemed to understand. So it all fell apart to be truthful As I say just me being a bit thick. :banghead:
Good fun though.

Slick

Guru
The pace set buy the others I did it with was blistering. I found that most people go with others so ride together. Unfortunately I went on my own so felt a bit "last one to be picked at school" when paired up,so was just eaten alive. Also being a bit thick I struggled to understand some of the formation changes that were explained before doing part 3. I pick it up easier if shown first but I felt a bit awkward asking on the briefing as everyone else seemed to understand. So it all fell apart to be truthful As I say just me being a bit thick. :banghead:
Good fun though.
Worst thing ever is giving someone the opportunity to say they don't understand something and they allow their experience to be spoilt by not accepting the chance.

Top Bottom