Crazy planes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
Among other things I saw this display yesterday.

The skills were superb :biggrin: and the nimbleness of the planes was fantastic.

I still can't believe they did what they did. Check out the "forward rolls" after 3min15 and 4min15 :smile:

Twiggy

controlled stalls, rather impressive.

Mr Pig

I read a book about the sport by a competitive aerobatic pilot. These guys are mental! Quite a few of them get killed and they all suffer from medical problems and damage caused by the forces they put themselves under.

It's such a crazy, pointless exercise but you have to respect them.

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
Twiggy said:
controlled stalls, rather impressive.

So that's what they're called, cheers. Rather impressive indeed.
Yesterday they did a pair of synchronised "controlled stalls" :smile:

Mr Pig, I don't suppose you can remember the name of that book? Sounds like a good one to get from the library.

Did you go in to the airfield Longers. I went to the Southport airshow when I was a kid. My memory is of lots of model airplane stands. Are they still there? Not the same ones obviously :smile:

TVC

Very good, I saw these guys last year, all ex RAF display pilots if I remember right.

The Vulcan of course is the show stopper. I glide out of Husbands Bosworth about 5NM from Bruntingthorpe, and a few weeks ago I was priviledged to be flying at the same she was returning. To share the sky with that aircraft was fantastic.

The Velvet Curtain said:
The Vulcan of course is the show stopper. I glide out of Husbands Bosworth about 5NM from Bruntingthorpe, and a few weeks ago I was priviledged to be flying at the same she was returning. To share the sky with that aircraft was fantastic.

Are you old enough to remember seeing them flying regularly in the skies as part of our constant readiness alert? I do, them and another whose name escapes me for now (Victor maybe). Flying really high but an unmistakable silhouette through the binoculars.

yenrod

The Velvet Curtain said:
Very good, I saw these guys last year, all ex RAF display pilots if I remember right.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en...6228,-1.114855&spn=0.001695,0.005472&t=h&z=18

Actually I think thats the Victor in the pic. :smile: and a Hunter..and some Lightnings...

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
Crackle, they might well be the same models, I wouldn't know.
Even if I had wanted to pay £7 they wouldn't let bikes in :smile:

A picture of the Vulcan yesterday:-

hvctur.jpg

trio25

Über Member
Was it a good ride out to Southport then Longers?
I'll be heading out there to catch the tour of britain next sunday.

yenrod

trio25 said:
Was it a good ride out to Southport then Longers?
I'll be heading out there to catch the tour of britain next sunday.

..its ffffffflllaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaattttttt !

Mr Pig

longers said:
Mr Pig, I don't suppose you can remember the name of that book?

Don't have to, I have it in front of me :0) It's called:

'No Visible Horizon' by Joshua Cooper Ramo.

Give me a shout if the library don't have it and I'll lend it to you.

atbman

Veteran
Vulcan, Victor and Valiant. Victors became in-flight tankers, IIRC. don't think Valiants stayed in service very long.

Top Bottom