Crud Roadracer Mk2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norm

I have just fitted these to my Secteur. Went on quite easily, although it was about an hour to fit them both and a few minor adjustments were needed to stop the wheels rubbing. I used black electrical tape on the frame to protect the paint.
What size tyres are those?

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
What size tyres are those?

25's

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
I'm still getting a little rubbing, so some more minor adjustments needed Norm but they do fit, i took it round the block earlier and they wern't rubbing, but they are again now due to me over fiddling with them. And the front one does pull to the left slightly when i brake but i'm sure i can get round that

Norm

Thanks for that, lazyj.

That sounds very similar to my issues with the original Cruds and 25mm tyres, which is why I was being nosey. I'm needing new tyres soon, though, so might drop a size to fit guards for the winter.

potsy

Rambler
Thanks for that, lazyj.

That sounds very similar to my issues with the original Cruds and 25mm tyres, which is why I was being nosey. I'm needing new tyres soon, though, so might drop a size to fit guards for the winter.

I get the feeling the Cruds are going to need a lot of fiddling to keep them sweet,haven't got round to any modifications to mine yet,still cream crackered after Saturday!!
You should be fine on 23's norm,especially now you've dropped a kilo or 5
tongue.gif

RetroSi

I know this thread is a little old but have only just joined.
I have a 23 year old Daccordi with Campag Delta Mk2 brakes & 700c x 23 Gatorskin clinchers.
The clearance I have between the brakes & tyres is less than 5mm, anyone know if this is enough?
Cheers for any advice/help....

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I know this thread is a little old but have only just joined.
I have a 23 year old Daccordi with Campag Delta Mk2 brakes & 700c x 23 Gatorskin clinchers.
The clearance I have between the brakes & tyres is less than 5mm, anyone know if this is enough?
Cheers for any advice/help....
How much less than 5 mm - 1 mm is less than 5 mm and it definitely wouldn't be enough! ;)

Also - don't forget - the mk 2 Roadracers need clearance between the rear tyre and the seat tube too.

RetroSi

Given your answer & my further investigating it looks like I won't be able to fit these, shame as they look nice.
The rear guard would fit behind the seat tube I'm sure as there's at least 10mm of space.
However, it's the front which has barely 2mm gap between tyre & underside of brake.
When my tyres wear out perhaps I'll get a thinner set, allthough that won't be probable until after xmas as only just fitted them.
I'll probably hunt out a second hand hack bike for the winter, less trouble & makes you feel good come spring riding back on your summer bike.
Cheers anyway...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You can't ride a 23 year old Daccordi in crap weather, or put mudguards on it.....especially as it has Campag Delta brakes...oh no !!!! Spoil the beauty of the bike ! :biggrin:

Chrisc

Guru
I never intended to ride my shiny Bianchi in the rain but the absence of a winter bike and my need to keep riding has forced me to go for a set of these guards.
Now I'll be able to get out there without the striping I got yesterday morning. Thanks for all the testing and info! :thumbsup:

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I've just "inherited" a set of these mudguards- originally bouight by a mate, he couldn't get them to fit on his Orbea Fleche without horrendous rubbing.

They fit perfectly on my Trek, no friction or contact at all. Riding to work on the wet roads has proven they keep my ass and feet much drier, so sucess all round.

Chrisc

Guru
Blimey, it only took me another 7 weeks to get round to it!

In case anybody is interested, here is my Mk2 Crud Roadracer Review.

(Er, it's a bit long! :blush:)

Put mine on last week, easy to fit and they appear to work very nicely! Odd bit of vibration now and again but given the state of the roads in Huddersfield they aren't doing badly at all. Plus Deano Downing is on the box and I bought my bike off his Dad!

e-rider

crappy member
I just received my crud mkIIs and they don't fit!!! Gutted. What a waste of money.

There appears to be a huge design fault with these guards that nobody has mentioned in any review that I've seen.

I assume that for most people the tightest fit is going to be under the rear brake/bridge - true? Yes, probably in most cases.

So, why did Crud decide to beef-up the plastic and join two sections of the mudguard right under the brake bridge - WTF were they thinking! If I place the thin part of the guard under the bridge I have planty of space (2mm) however, if I line up the cable tie hole with the rear brake as instructions this clearance turns to 0mm or perhaps 0.5mm but not enough either way. Stupid!

Move the join 2cm towards the seat tube and they'd fit fine - pissed off.

the only solution would be to run the cable tie around the rear brake bolt over the top of the bridge and then through the guard hole - this would clearly lead to severe rubbing of cable tie against carbon frame - perhaps if I put protective 'inner tube' over the carbon it could work.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
I just received my crud mkIIs and they don't fit!!! Gutted. What a waste of money.

There appears to be a huge design fault with these guards that nobody has mentioned in any review that I've seen.

I assume that for most people the tightest fit is going to be under the rear brake/bridge - true? Yes, probably in most cases.

So, why did Crud decide to beef-up the plastic and join two sections of the mudguard right under the brake bridge - WTF were they thinking! If I place the thin part of the guard under the bridge I have planty of space (2mm) however, if I line up the cable tie hole with the rear brake as instructions this clearance turns to 0mm or perhaps 0.5mm but not enough either way. Stupid!

Move the join 2cm towards the seat tube and they'd fit fine - pissed off.

the only solution would be to run the cable tie around the rear brake bolt over the top of the bridge and then through the guard hole - this would clearly lead to severe rubbing of cable tie against carbon frame - perhaps if I put protective 'inner tube' over the carbon it could work.

I had a problem with the clearance at the front guard near where the join is on mine before I replaced the brake calipers, so I attacked it with my dremel and cut a groove in the thick bit of the plastic to lift it up a bit and make it fit.

Top Bottom