Cryptic clues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Bikes sawed into shape? (5) One to be getting on with while this one remains unsolved:

Important thing the secretary must do for the boss when he is away...
(11)

winjim

Smash the cistern
I'm never going to get it, never got my head around cryptics (yup, I missed the meaning of "exotic", putting me in the group "thickoes") but

"Years ago" that makes sense. What struck me about it was the use of "secretary" - they are now PAs, or office admins or admin assistants etc - and also the pronoun for the boss being "he" - though the syntax is a bit screwy, so I will apologise if the answer means that the "he" is the secretary, not the boss.
I think "he is away" might be the letters H and E, removed from a word that is a synonym for boss?

winjim

Smash the cistern
How about this, cycling related:

Street party, drug free, ends with a recording deal (6)

gbb

Legendary Member
I think "he is away" might be the letters H and E, removed from a word that is a synonym for boss?
No. Its not a cryptic clue In the normal sense.
You're looking for a synonym of ''important'..the answer broken down then makes sense regarding the what the secretary does for the boss.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
A bit of a punt here as I'm not a very well known CC member and I've only really posted silly stuff on the Tea thread. But...I wondered if anyone would like to take part in a cryptic clue thread. We had a bit of a flutter with this on CookingBites Forum (sister site) but not enough people were able to solve them! Either that or they weren't interested. Anyway, I did search and couldn't find anything here similar. I did find a thread about to the sadly departed Araucaria: Puzzle compiler down. Please correct me if I've missed something.

Anyway, if anyone wants to join in, I thought that the first person could set a cryptic clue (could be cycling related) and then the first person to solve it sets the next clue.
@classic33 ran a puzzles and mindbenders thread over on the late computer forum, some absolute stinkers that took weeks of frustration and sitting bolt upright in bed at 4am when inspiration flowed out of your unconscious.

I think some ended up on here too.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I'm terrible with cryptic clues; just tell me it's an anagram, ffs, don't make me work out that 'exotic' means summat else. A mate tried to teach me once, but I found the 'clues about the clues' simply annoying :smile:

You get something like "The vicar reversed the van towards Dolphin City" and the answer is 'sausage'.
Life's too short :okay:

But I admire the insight of those who 'get it', so carry on, as you were :okay:

OP
OP
Motobecane

Motobecane

Guru
I cheated, used an online thesaurus

significant

the only 11 letter synonyms were influential and significant

The sexism and moribund job title could be entirely eliminated, btw.
I just solved it having not come back to it until now! Beaten to it!! ^_^

gbb

Legendary Member
I cheated, used an online thesaurus

significant

the only 11 letter synonyms were influential and significant

The sexism and moribund job title could be entirely eliminated, btw.
Clever innit. I used to do the Telegraph cryptic all the time, that one stumped me.
Simple in the end....
sign if I cant.

Top Bottom