Cryptic clues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stephenite

Membå
Cyclocross
Correct.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Gangster with weapon out to bat for navigator (6)
Garmin? Backwards: If you're out to bat, that means you're in. A weapon is an arm. So that leaves a G to begin with. I've no idea why G should stand for Gangster, apart from it being the first letter but Garmin is a navigator

Tim Hall

How many letters?
Overworked postman.

How many letters?

Bloody hundreds.

You get something like "The vicar reversed the van towards Dolphin City" and the answer is 'sausage'.
yeah, that's sounds typical of the ones I hear.

I actually visited a random webpage about solving cryptic crosswords, and as I skimmed through it, I couldn't get this one even with solution and explanation:

Clue: “Oof!” Crew heard “Touch Me” group? (4)
Homophone: “THE DOORS”

they also say: "if the clue ends with a question mark you’re probably constructing an uncommon, possibly odd phrase that sounds like the answer, such as in the <this one>"

Honestly, I can't tell why that's the answer. I don't even know if the answer is "THE DOORS" or just "DOORS" or ??. for all the other questions on the page, the (4) would seem to indicate a four letter answer. If so, I have no idea what that is. I don't know any four letter homonyms for "The doors"

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker

I actually visited a random webpage about solving cryptic crosswords, and as I skimmed through it, I couldn't get this one even with solution and explanation:

they also say: "if the clue ends with a question mark you’re probably constructing an uncommon, possibly odd phrase that sounds like the answer, such as in the <this one>"

Honestly, I can't tell why that's the answer. I don't even know if the answer is "THE DOORS" or just "DOORS" or ??. for all the other questions on the page, the (4) would seem to indicate a four letter answer. If so, I have no idea what that is. I don't know any four letter homonyms for "The doors"
I've no idea how the Doors could be the answer, not least because it doesn't fit. The nearest answer I'd keep in mind that I've found is ''ouch'' as the answer, simply because it can be a similar response to pain/shock as ''oof'' and because the letters are there as a group in ''touch''. Oh, and it fits. That said, I'd wait till I had other letters and put it in with a sigh and a slight question mark.

Stephenite

Membå

'Touch me' is a record by The Doors. So, we are looking for a word that rhymes with doors. 'Oars'? I dunno. I doubt I would have felt any satisfaction if I'd found the answer.

Top Bottom