ctc's "safety in numbers" campaign

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
A parliamentary Early Day Motion (EDM 1431) was tabled in Parliament last week by Gwyn Prosser MP, chair of the All Party Parliamentary Cycling Group, in support of CTC’s ‘Safety in Numbers’ campaign. The EDM has already been signed by 77 MPs. CTC is calling on all cyclists to contact their MPs urging them to add their signatures. Getting your MP to support CTC’s campaign only takes a few clicks: all you have to do is go to http://www.ctc.org.uk/safetyinnumbers to send an email.

i know this probably should be in campaign, but it deserves a bigger audience imho.

Noodley

alecstilleyedye said:
i know this probably should be in campaign, but it deserves a bigger audience imho.

Do you have so little faith in the forum? Cafe is but one part of what could be a more vibrant forum if some thought was given to it by posters who choose cafe through convenience or 'trying to achieve a wider audience' :biggrin:

Crankarm

Guru
I can't but feel that this CTC campaign "Safety in numbers" is flawed. It doesn't really address the issue of the dangers everyday cyclists face from drivers who are bullies or homicidal maniacs. Sure the wider cycling message should be getting more bums on saddles as a core policy but I can't help thinking CTC aren't lobbying the Government anywhere near hard enough on the specific issues of cyclists' day to day safety. Whilst laudable this campaign doesn't improve the over all safety of cyclists who are often very vulnerable cycling alone in rural areas rather than in a group or en masse in cities. Yet another 2 cyclists have been fatally injured recently. The polish lady cyclist knocked down last friday in SE London and Major Gareth Evans knocked down on the A1 on first May bank holiday weekend. This is where they should be, continually in the Government's face every time a cyclist is seriously or fatally injured.

dodgy

Aperitif said:
I got my postcard - First Class - from Alan Keen MP, acknowledging my communication, which will receive attention...
...why didn't his office send me a nice cheap email? Hand written address in blue biro too.:o)

That communications allowance isn't gonna spend itself you know ;)

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Crankarm said:
I can't but feel that this CTC campaign "Safety in numbers" is flawed. It doesn't really address the issue of the dangers everyday cyclists face from drivers who are bullies or homicidal maniacs. Sure the wider cycling message should be getting more bums on saddles as a core policy but I can't help thinking CTC aren't lobbying the Government anywhere near hard enough on the specific issues of cyclists' day to day safety. Whilst laudable this campaign doesn't improve the over all safety of cyclists who are often very vulnerable cycling alone in rural areas rather than in a group or en masse in cities. Yet another 2 cyclists have been fatally injured recently. The polish lady cyclist knocked down last friday in SE London and Major Gareth Evans knocked down on the A1 on first May bank holiday weekend. This is where they should be, continually in the Government's face every time a cyclist is seriously or fatally injured.
Roger Geffen and his team are doing this day in day out, and at times of the day that see most of us dozing in front of the telly......

ChrisKH

Guru
I know 'my' MP won't sign. He's too right wing. Which is why he's on my shoot to kill list.

Danny

Legendary Member
Noodley said:
Do you have so little faith in the forum? Cafe is but one part of what could be a more vibrant forum if some thought was given to it by posters who choose cafe through convenience or 'trying to achieve a wider audience' ;)
I agree - it would be good to see the Campaign forum become much more used.

But never mind, I've now asked my MP to sign up, which I expect he'll do if he isn't too busy getting his expenses in order.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
My response from Doug Naysmith was on House of Commons headed paper and matching envelope ... but I did think an email would have sufficed.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Crankarm said:
I can't but feel that this CTC campaign "Safety in numbers" is flawed....

I think you'll find the CTC are camapigning about sorts of things, all the time, as Dellzeg says. And the very best thing that can be done to improve cyclists' safety is to get more people cycling so that it stops becoming so much of a them and us situation. It's nothing to do with being safer cycling in a big group, it's to do with making cyclists a more 'normal' part of everyday road experience. That's why cycling is so much nicer in places like France or Holland, where more people cycle, and therefore understand the need of cyclists when they drive.

Top Bottom