ctc's "safety in numbers" campaign

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
That's all very well and laudable but it still doesn't change the fact that in the UK a large minority of drivers would sooner run cyclists off the road than give us the space and respect we deserve :smile:. In France, Belgium and Holland the attitude to cyclists is totally different and more importantly the law is different so if a driver in these countries injures or kills a cyclist or pedestrian then the driver is presumed to be at fault unless they can establish otherwise. This is where the CTC should be campaigning and lobbying - to change UK law. Yes it should be encouraging more people to cycle but that in itself is not going to stop the carnage. The CTC should also advocate and pursue far harsher sentences for drivers awarded lenient sentences who have seriously injured or killed cyclists. Failure to do either of these is simply failing to take seriously or properly represent the safety of cyclists. A change in UK law is needed to that of the Dutch or Belgium model and enforcement of harsher sentences is desperately needed to act as a deterrent to others and massively improve the safety of cyclists on UK roads. These changes would be biggest improvements to my safety on the roads of the Fens. I am kucky if I see another cyclist in 2 weeks of cycling. I don't see this sea change of people taking up cycling. And how about the winter? Britain is a cold wet and miserable country for cycling from October to March, are masses of novice cyclists going to continue cycling through the winter after no doubt enduring crap summer weather as the last 2 summers have been? I think not.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Crankarm said:
That's all very well and laudable but it still doesn't change the fact that in the UK a large minority of drivers would sooner run cyclists off the road than give us the space and respect we deserve :smile:. In France, Belgium and Holland the attitude to cyclists is totally different and more importantly the law is different so if a driver in these countries injures or kills a cyclist or pedestrian then the driver is presumed to be at fault unless they can establish otherwise. This is where the CTC should be campaigning and lobbying - to change UK law. Yes it should be encouraging more people to cycle but that in itself is not going to stop the carnage. The CTC should also advocate and pursue far harsher sentences for drivers awarded lenient sentences who have seriously injured or killed cyclists. Failure to do either of these is simply failing to take seriously or properly represent the safety of cyclists. A change in UK law is needed to that of the Dutch or Belgium model and enforcement of harsher sentences is desperately needed to act as a deterrent to others and massively improve the safety of cyclists on UK roads. These changes would be biggest improvements to my safety on the roads of the Fens. I am kucky if I see another cyclist in 2 weeks of cycling. I don't see this sea change of people taking up cycling. And how about the winter? Britain is a cold wet and miserable country for cycling from October to March, are masses of novice cyclists going to continue cycling through the winter after no doubt enduring crap summer weather as the last 2 summers have been? I think not.
Crankarm - instead of sitting in your armchair and telling us what the CTC should be doing, when you clearly know nothing about what they're doing, why not pop down to your DA committee and ask? Or write to them and ask? And offer to help?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Crankarm said:
I am kucky if I see another cyclist in 2 weeks of cycling. I don't see this sea change of people taking up cycling. And how about the winter? Britain is a cold wet and miserable country for cycling from October to March, are masses of novice cyclists going to continue cycling through the winter after no doubt enduring crap summer weather as the last 2 summers have been? I think not.

I have to say that I think I am seeing more cyclists in Bristol this year.... and I was surprised how many I saw when it was very wet at the beginning of the week. In the half mile to school I will see 5 - 10. Then there is usually a minimum of one other cyclist in view most of the time I'm cycling on the busier routes. I'm sure its more than last year.

Crankarm

Guru
dellzeqq said:
Crankarm - instead of sitting in your armchair and telling us what the CTC should be doing, when you clearly know nothing about what they're doing, why not pop down to your DA committee and ask? Or write to them and ask? And offer to help?

Dellzeqq dear since you seem to know how about enlightening me?

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I've shown you the path to enlightenment, Crankarm. It just takes a bit of effort. Whether you want to make the effort is up to you, but please don't criticise people who are making the effort when you haven't even taken the trouble to find out what they're doing.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Crankarm said:
And how about the winter? Britain is a cold wet and miserable country for cycling from October to March, are masses of novice cyclists going to continue cycling through the winter after no doubt enduring crap summer weather as the last 2 summers have been? I think not.

And how is the CTC going to do anything about the bloody weather?

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Arch said:
And how is the CTC going to do anything about the bloody weather?
The CTC will sort the weather. Just for Crankarm. All he has to do is forward his membership number.....

theclaud

Openly Marxist
dellzeqq said:
The CTC will sort the weather. Just for Crankarm. All he has to do is forward his membership number.....

He doesn't even have to move from his desk to find out everything he needs to know. CTC newsnet will have just landed in his inbox, with a handy link to Cycle Digest. Unless of course he hadn't bothered to sign up for it, and expects them to seek him out through some form of ESP. But that would just be lazy and stupid, so it can't possibly be the case.

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i'm ****ing livid. i've had a reply back from my mp:

I have read your correspondence and the accompanying information about the EDM with interest. Whilst I am keen to support meaningful measures to improve cycling safety I have to say that from my personal experience that cyclists can be some of the most dangerous road-users (sic), to both themselves and others, not least pedestrians and motorists. Responsible cycling means observing the Highway Code and obeying the law, and this way is the best way to protect cyclists, pedestrians and other road-users from accidents.

this could have been cut and pasted from a daily mail letters page. and this is the same mp who was happy to pose for photographs congratulating people who had completed a local bikeathon.

self-gratification artist :eek:

Arch

Married to Night Train
alecstilleyedye said:

this could have been cut and pasted from a daily mail letters page. and this is the same mp who was happy to pose for photographs congratulating people who had competed a local bikeathon.

Oh, do tell us who he/she is?

theclaud

Openly Marxist
alecstilleyedye said:

this could have been cut and pasted from a daily mail letters page. and this is the same mp who was happy to pose for photographs congratulating people who had competed a local bikeathon.

Mein Gott! Who is this f**kwit? Let's all send him nasty letters.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
alecstilleyedye said:
i'm ****ing livid. i've had a reply back from my mp:..........

Wowser! Methinks a half hour in his surgery would not go amiss....

And, yes, who is he or she?

Top Bottom