Cycle or Helmet Video Cameras

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BSRU

A Human Being
I don't know what the Hero 3+ does with its low light mode but it is definitely closing the gap on the sony.
The only things the sony has bad going for it at the moment is the small fish eye that is noticeable and the lack of mounts (is that still a problem? ) the colour however is way better than any of the other cameras.

It will be interesting to see how the panasonic is going to do. Do people want to go back to the two piece camera? V.I.O isn't doing so well any more as these single piece cameras have become a lot better!
They have improved the new Sony as you can use a standard camera mount without the need for the waterproof case, which is only needed for submerging the camera.

Panasonic seems to have made some basic errors, it has a non-replaceable battery, the camera is permanently fixed to the recording unit and the cable seems too short.

I personally think the Sony is currently the best but the Hero 4 with it's new sensor looks like it will be better, although rumours are Sony are going to fully utilise the 4K sensor soon.

I'm still waiting for Contour to release something that can compete, as it is still the best form factor.

Reactions: gaz

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
The new HX-A500 from Panasonic is a two part camera so less extra weight on the helmet.
The main cameras, GoPro, Sony and Contour all have advantages and disadvantages.
I've have all three and currently use the Sony as it has good battery life, good image and excellent low light performance.
If the GoPro Hero 4 is released with a back lit sensor I might buy it.

+1 for the sony, nice little camera and so much better value than the go pro's.

OP
OP
mick1836

mick1836

Über Member
Since starting this thread I have invested in a Roadhawk Ride camera and find the footage very good :smile:, the only problem I'm trying to solve is........

The camera came with an 8GB SD card which will record for 2hours, the camera will take upto a 32GB card, however the cameras battery only lasts up to 2hrs:sad: and my rides are approaching the +2hr length.

The camera comes with cables that allow you to power the device externally. Roadhawks tech department suggest using an external USB rechargeable battery pack of around 9000 to 12000mAh.

Any one else bought a Roadhawk Ride and addressed this problem?

Last edited:
Top Bottom