Cycle shirt colour to avoid bugs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Red17

Veteran
Was it at the end of summer? They're grumpy bastards at the end of summer.

I hardly ever see wasps these days - think they must be getting a lot rarer.

Don't miss the little buggers though

Gez73

Veteran
Try washing your bike with Weldtite Citrus Degreaser (diluted for all but the drivechain/chain) , you will have what seems like every wasp in England in your garden! Gez

sanddancer

Apparently the drones are no longer of any use come the end of summer so they stop being able to eat (their mouths heal over or some such?) so they just starve to death and it makes them cranky. You know how the best thing for a bad mood is to share it around...

I probably read it on the internet, so it may not be true. I tend to be a lot more wary of them come September though.

They collect and eat meat (other insects) providing for the nest. When thats no longer needed in the autumn they get drunk on rotting fermenting apples, party time :biggrin:
most insects are attracted to yellow and white. And most are blind to red .

I just read it on the Internet but I think I remember seeing it elsewhere years ago :biggrin:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Yellow is bad, but I've been told that blue is very nearly as bad for attracting flying pests. When we were in Mexico, everyone going on the jungle tour was told not to wear blue for that reason.
Open mouths seem to attract them too... xx(

davegreg

I prefer red. It is said that black is easier to attract bugs.

Top Bottom