Cyclist killed Charmouth, Dorset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

0lonerider

Veteran
rest in peace

Silverfox885

"...an 83-year-old male driver."
The elderly drivers here in Dorset are a bloody nightmare. They refuse to accept that they are unsafe on the road.
Really sad for the poor guy and his family, let's just hope this old fart is taken off the road.

Berties

Fast and careful!
My heart goes out to the family of the cyclist,I know the area very well,have worked in the area and holidayed with my family when they were young,problem is you go from minor roads to the nasty a35 riding to Lyme ,let's hope they are able to investigate the truth ..a lesson to us all ,to be careful

Garethgas

So many threads on here with video's showing so called incidents...90% of which could be avoided by the rider showing anticipation,
speed/position adjustment etc. but as OP pointed out, being rear ended you have no chance whatsoever.
In fact, this is the only type of accident that scares me because there's nothing I can do about it.
At 83, I would expect the old man's faculties to be at least starting to show signs of deterioration, but isn't there a requirement to declare
something to the DVLA? Some sort of eye test, or medical?
No consolation for the poor victim of course.
RIP

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
The driver who killed 43yr old Andrew Barnett had no driving licence "due to an earlier disqualification".

"... the prosecution spoke about the cyclist as a keen triathlete wearing mainly white clothes on a straight level stretch of road with a view of 450 metres. The defendant mentioned having the visor down as the sun was shining through the trees when he hit him from behind."

He has been given a suspended prison sentence of six months and disqualified from driving for 5 years and must take an extended retest if he wants to drive again.

GC

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
From the Dorset Echo:

Prosecutor Carolyn Branford-Wood said that Richards was driving his Nissan Almera car in the same direction and a collision investigator’s report concluded that the impact by Richards’ vehicle was to the rear wheel of Mr Barnett’s bicycle.

She said: “As a result of the impact Mr Barnett was projected into the air and the Nissan continued past underneath him before coming to a halt.”
Miss Branford-Wood added that witnesses to the collision saw no braking or avoiding action taken by Richards immediately prior to the impact.

Richards, of Wesley Close, Charmouth, was reported to have said at the scene: “He came out of nowhere, I didn’t see him.”

Victim-blaming b@stard.

GC

Drago

Legendary Member
"Came out of nowhere." The most nonsensical, glibly regurgitated tripe, yet deliver it through a few crocodile tears and courts seem to believe that people just materialise out of the ether leaving poor innocent drivers no chance of avoiding them.

The is poor bloke died as a consequence of another persons willfully unlawful behaviour. Where someone dies because someone else chose to break the law it should be treated as second degree murder.

spen666

Legendary Member
"Came out of nowhere." The most nonsensical, glibly regurgitated tripe, yet deliver it through a few crocodile tears and courts seem to believe that people just materialise out of the ether leaving poor innocent drivers no chance of avoiding them.

The is poor bloke died as a consequence of another persons willfully unlawful behaviour. Where someone dies because someone else chose to break the law it should be treated as second degree murder.

What is the point? There is no such think in this country as 2nd degree murder. If it is not murder, its not murder

You have been watching too much American TV

screenman

Legendary Member
What is the point? There is no such think in this country as 2nd degree murder. If it is not murder, its not murder

You have been watching too much American TV

Are you sure on that? I seem to remember something going on along those lines a while back. I would hope that Drago with his profession might know for sure.

PK99

Legendary Member
Are you sure on that? I seem to remember something going on along those lines a while back. I would hope that Drago with his profession might know for sure.

there was a law commission report which Harriet Harman (home secretary) supported but Lord Falconer (Lord chancellor) rejected.

http://lawcommission.justice.gov.uk/areas/murder-manslaughter-and-infanticide.htm

First degree murder would be confined to unlawful killings committed with an intention to kill and unlawful killings committed with an intent to cause serious injury where the killer was aware that his or her conduct involved a serious risk of causing death.

Second degree murder would encompass unlawful killings committed with an intent to cause serious harm and unlawful killings intended to cause injury or fear or risk of injury where the killer was aware that his or her conduct involved a serious risk of causing death. In addition, second degree murder would encompass cases which would constitute first degree murder but for the fact that the accused successfully pleads provocation, diminished responsibility or that he or she had killed pursuant to a suicide pact.

Manslaughter would consist of unlawful killings caused by acts of gross negligence and unlawful killings caused by a criminal act that was intended to cause injury or by a criminal act foreseen as involving a serious risk of causing some injury.

Top Bottom