Cyclist killed near Kirriemuir

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
RIP

I know a few cyclists in that area, and I was very concerned it may have been one of them. This may sound wrong but I am glad to hear that it isn't; hopefully you'll know what I mean as it does read as quite selfish/heartless. My thoughts are with the family of the dead cyclist. Some of the cyclists I know in that area did know the victim so it must be awful for them.

Looking at the pictures from other press coverage of this incident the road in question is straight with good visibility for an extended length, so another victim of a fúckwit driver not paying attention.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
BBC update:

"A cyclist who was killed in a crash in Angus has been named by police as Grant Gourlay of Dundee.
The 48-year-old was pronounced dead at the scene following a collision with a van on the A926 between Maryton and Kirriemuir at 10:30 on Wednesday
."
GC

Das

Regular
Thought I would give a bit of an insight into what has since come to light regarding this.
I am a Cyclist and originally from Kirriemuir. I know the road well and like other could not figure out what had happened either. Indeed the driver of the Van had no recollection of how the accident had happened, how convenient.....
The Van is owned by the local Butcher and the driver was an employee of that butcher. Around 2 weeks after the accident the driver collapsed at his work. After being transported home his wife called NHS 24 who told her to take him to a Local Hospital(Arbroath for some reason) to be checked out, which she did. After being checked over at Arbroath Infirmary he was swiftly moved via Blue Light Ambulance to Ninewells Hospital in Dundee, where 3 hours later he underwent an operation where a Tumor the size of a small orange was removed from his brain.
I have since found out that he also has inoperable Cancer(not sure where) and has been told that he has 3-6 months to live, extended to possibly 18 month if he takes Chemotherapy, which ive been told he is now doing.
It would appear that this is one of those tragic accidents where someone was clearly in the wrong place at the wrong time. I have no idea if the family of the cyclist have been informed, I imagine the Police will have kept them up to date.
I have no connection with either family, just felt it was right to help fill in some of the gaps, so to speak.

Ganymede

Veteran
Thought I would give a bit of an insight into what has since come to light regarding this.
I am a Cyclist and originally from Kirriemuir. I know the road well and like other could not figure out what had happened either. Indeed the driver of the Van had no recollection of how the accident had happened, how convenient.....
The Van is owned by the local Butcher and the driver was an employee of that butcher. Around 2 weeks after the accident the driver collapsed at his work. After being transported home his wife called NHS 24 who told her to take him to a Local Hospital(Arbroath for some reason) to be checked out, which she did. After being checked over at Arbroath Infirmary he was swiftly moved via Blue Light Ambulance to Ninewells Hospital in Dundee, where 3 hours later he underwent an operation where a Tumor the size of a small orange was removed from his brain.
I have since found out that he also has inoperable Cancer(not sure where) and has been told that he has 3-6 months to live, extended to possibly 18 month if he takes Chemotherapy, which ive been told he is now doing.
It would appear that this is one of those tragic accidents where someone was clearly in the wrong place at the wrong time. I have no idea if the family of the cyclist have been informed, I imagine the Police will have kept them up to date.
I have no connection with either family, just felt it was right to help fill in some of the gaps, so to speak.
Good of you to post that Das, thanks.

Reactions: Das

EN-Dundee

Do you know, Das if the driver is still alive? It's over a year now. Such a tragedy for both. Thank you for posting the details, just found this thread. The cyclist was my friend - missing him very much.

Bianchi

Bianchi

Hi It was my husband that was killed in the accident and I was wondering how you got that information. Would be good to hear where it came from, many thanks

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Hi It was my husband that was killed in the accident and I was wondering how you got that information. Would be good to hear where it came from, many thanks

Hi, as Spinney says, Das hasn't been around here for two years but as he's still a member he might get email notification if you were to send him a private message via his profile. To do this, click on his avatar and in the wee window that pops up click on 'start a conversation'.

Good luck and I'm sorry for your loss.

GC

Bianchi

Hi, as Spinney says, Das hasn't been around here for two years but as he's still a member he might get email notification if you were to send him a private message via his profile. To do this, click on his avatar and in the wee window that pops up click on 'start a conversation'.

Good luck and I'm sorry for your loss.

GC
Thank you for that.

Top Bottom