'Cyclists Dismount' sign at roadworks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Cycle on as if there was no sign, but write to the roads authority telling them of your objection to such signs and pointing out the failure of their contractor to provide a safe passage for cyclists (and pedestrians?) through the roadworks.
It really is time all these Cyclists Dismount signs were consigned to the scrap metal skip.
Or we force them to be more evenhanded, and install "Motorists dismount" signs.

Such signs have no legal force and are merely advisory. You can, of course, ignore such advice. :thumbsup:
Here's one though that would be interesting to do so...
http://goo.gl/maps/Qt6FL

Since the google car visited in May '12, the roadworks have widened, leaving a lane *just* wide enough for an HGV, in one long stretch on the left, with heavy plant and containers/portakabins so no ducking in to the coned area

Going uphill, it is not the steepest but the "average" cyclist would have trouble making it through in the traffic light cycle.

The advisory sign says "cyclists dismount and use footpath" however I doubt that if I were on the trike, that I could actually get it through the narrow footpath, especially where other signs, fances etc encroach upon it - and I'd certainly struggle to dismount and push the trike. No idea how I would cope with this if I encountered it on the trike as there is no alternative suitable road - to avoid it would mean an approx 1:3 hill either up and over the top, or back up after going through the valley below.

Luckily this is only on my "scenic detour" on the way home but it would seem that the only way through would be to stay on the road and meet traffic head on when the lights change

Davidc

Guru
I agree entirely with YT's action and opinion on this.

A group of cyclists in Taunton a while back dismounted and walked down the middle of the road to demonstrate the stupidity of a sign like this. If I'd known in advance I'd have joined them.

simon.r

Person
On the positive side, these signs are an indication that road-workers are beginning to acknowledge the existence of cyclists.

A few years ago no-one would have even considered anything except motorised traffic and pedestrians. Pressure to acknowledge the needs of cyclists / horse riders / buggy pushers / mobility scooters etc. at roadworks has increased dramatically over the last few years. I agree that the vast majority of 'Cyclists Dismount' signs are ridiculous, but it does indicate the very beginnings of a thought process that considers our needs.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Or, on Tooley Street near London Bridge - "Narrow lanes. Do not overtake cyclists." The signs are still there even though the roadworks have finished.

Ganymede

Veteran
The appropriate sign is not ''Cyclists Dismount,'' it's ''Narrow Lane - Do Not Overtake Cyclists.'' (This may not be the exact wording but it's very close.) I have seen it but very rarely.

There's one on Baylis Road near Lambeth Tube. The building works have covered the pavement and re-assigned the cycle path for pedestrians. Orange barriers all round. And the "Narrow Lane - Do Not Overtake Cyclists" sign. I was pleased to see it, though I only walk round that area as it happens.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Or, on Tooley Street near London Bridge - "Narrow lanes. Do not overtake cyclists." The signs are still there even though the roadworks have finished.
TMN to Deptfordmarmoset.

Top Bottom