Dales/W Yorks ride, 6th August, 2022. From Settle to Settle OR to Hebden Bridge/Todmorden

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I saw the thread (and recent SoV tagging) and whilst "I have a cunning plan" to attend, it seems that just like every one of Baldrick's cunning plans mine's just as unlikely to work :sad: but 🤞

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Sorry, I’m not going to be able to make it due to taxi duties in the morning.

Damn! :sad:

Oh, we hadn't mentioned the start time, just in case you can finish taxi duties early enough... My train is supposed to get into Settle at 10:21, so we would be looking at a 10:30 start from Ye Olde Naked Man. Does that help? :whistle:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I very much doubt I'd be able to get there for the start :sad: so I'm out. Have a great ride folks 👍
Thanks. We will try!

Unless @neil_merseyside's cunning plan works out (or my pals Carrie and Kevin finally decide to come along), this ride is starting to look a bit short of riders! :sad:

There must surely be at least one or two of you who will be free on Saturday and like riding in Yorkshire/Lancashire? :whistle:

Domus

Guru
Just so busy these next few weeks, grandchildren in the school holidays, Bristol Balloon festival visit, charity thing, plus a few things I’ve forgotten. I promise to catchup at some point.

Thanks. We will try!

Unless @neil_merseyside's cunning plan works out (or my pals Carrie and Kevin finally decide to come along), this ride is starting to look a bit short of riders! :sad:

There must surely be at least one or two of you who will be free on Saturday and like riding in Yorkshire/Lancashire? :whistle:

Actually my cunning plan has just failed the sensibility check we just did, my diary wasn't as up to date as I thought :sad: Damn annoying not to have a good guide to a new area.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'm STILL trying to persuade Carrie to join us, and she is trying to find out if Kevin will be back from a holiday in time.

I'd like to suggest a variation to the planned route... Instead of riding up to the B6160 from Cavendish Pavilion and taking that road to Bolton Bridge, I'd like to go back out onto Storiths Lane and climb up that to the A59, turn right and head back down to our original route.

Storiths Lane is a really nice little road as you can see by following it here on Street View. (For some reason SV gets the camera angle/orientation wrong along there - just skip that bit.)

The A59 is often very busy BUT we would be doing the 1.2 km on it quite steeply downhill so we would be off it in a couple of 2 minutes. Worth putting up with? :whistle:

If we do go that way and Carrie comes along I will make her promise NOT to ride through the cobbled ford, unlike the last time!

OK, though if I get killed on the A59 I'll blame you. Storiths Lane looks rather nice, and I shall most certainly be taking the footbridge on the left and not the cobbled ford with the slimey stones and gaping gaps. Route duly changed, adding no distance and 70m of ascent.

Top Bottom