Dash Cam Radio Interference

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Anyone had a similar problem?

I've tucked the cable under the headlining at the front and under the trim on the door pillar, maybe that is causing the problem if the lead for the roof mounted aerial follows the same route?

I've tried covering the camera itself in foil to see if it was coming from that, but no difference.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Not as yet, mine came with a sleeve thing to slide over the wiring in the event of interference. Not entirely sure what it's called though or if it even works (I fitted it)

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Yes I have the same radio interference but only on the odd channel, for example i can get radio one, classical radio and classic FM all without interference but if I try to listen to local radio (the pulse) I get constant electrical interference, unplug the live feed for the camera and the static disappears completely.

OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Yes I have the same radio interference but only on the odd channel, for example i can get radio one, classical radio and classic FM all without interference but if I try to listen to local radio (the pulse) I get constant electrical interference, unplug the live feed for the camera and the static disappears completely.
It disappears when I unplug mine too, but that kinda negates the point of having the thing.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
It disappears when I unplug mine too, but that kinda negates the point of having the thing.
Yeah, I was pretty much stating the obvious, I wonder if there is a suppression kit that can be fitted to prevent the interference?

Not as yet, mine came with a sleeve thing to slide over the wiring in the event of interference. Not entirely sure what it's called though or if it even works (I fitted it)

Do you have or can you take a picture of this sleeve thingy, I'm intrigued to see what it is.

Probably, sort of. I've fitted a reversing/rear view numberplate camera to the L200 - rear view is nigh on non-existent. It feeds a monitor (similar to this) that clips over the rear view mirror. Cable run is similar - door pillar and headlining. Radio antenna is centre of roof above it - all goes the same way. DAB radio is now cutting out a lot and unusable. FM is fine though.
I'll have to try unplugging it next time I'm out in it and see what happens. Only goes into a ciggy lighter anyway.

T.M.H.N.E.T

OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4530059, member: 9609"]Interference is probably from a poor quality charger. I have had two dash cams and they have both came with chargers that interfere with the radio when the reception is marginal. In both cases a good quality charger has sorted the problem.[/QUOTE]
By charger I assume you mean the thing that plugs into the cig lighter and powers the unit?

If so, can you recommend a decent one.

T.M.H.N.E.T

By charger I assume you mean the thing that plugs into the cig lighter and powers the unit?

If so, can you recommend a decent one.
Nextbase hardwire kit, comes in mini and micro USB flavours whichever your cam requires.

***Some cars may require a mini fuse add-a-circuit

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
What's happening with the cheap charger is it more than likely doesn't have a filtering circuit. As the engine revs and the alternator spins it puts out a varying range of voltage "spikes" at quite a high frequency. This causes EMI (electro magnetic interference), especially along a long power lead. The lead starts to act like a transmitting antenna, so you need to increase the inductance of the lead to prevent this by fitting a ferrite ring. Alternatively make sure your charger has a filtering circuit onboard (which will coincidentally probably be a ferrite ring with the +ve side of the power output wrapped a few times around it).

T.M.H.N.E.T

What's happening with the cheap charger is it more than likely doesn't have a filtering circuit. As the engine revs and the alternator spins it puts out a varying range of voltage "spikes" at quite a high frequency. This causes EMI (electro magnetic interference), especially along a long power lead. The lead starts to act like a transmitting antenna, so you need to increase the inductance of the lead to prevent this by fitting a ferrite ring. Alternatively make sure your charger has a filtering circuit onboard (which will coincidentally probably be a ferrite ring with the +ve side of the power output wrapped a few times around it).
Or use a proper hardwire kit tapped off an ignition live circuit (as I did, I do believe mine is off window wiper circuit maintaining the standard fuse rating)

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I swapped the charger that came with mine for a decent quality lead that plus into the USB socket and that's helped considerably. Might be worth a try as a cheap fix, if you have a USB in the car (or get a USB thingamabob for the 12v socket)?

OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The charger is the problem. Ran the camera with no lead and there was no interference, plugged the charger lead into the socket and even without it being connected to anything the interference returned immediately. Better quality charger now ordered from Amazon.

Last edited:
Top Bottom