Dawes Ultra Galaxy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plax

Guru
Well it has finally arrived. However without a pannier rack. I have phoned up Evans where I got the bike from and they are sending my one on.

Here are a few pictures;

Gal

Front Mech;

Galaxy

Handlebars;

G

Rear Mech;

Gala

Saddle:

Galax

I have taken her for a little test ride round the block. Everything seems to be fine, although I'm not sure about the handlebars. I have them tilted up quite far as I felt a bit overstretched otherwise - is this normal?

Also, I don't know if I'm being stupid, but the components don't seem to add up.
The rear mech according to Dawes is supposed to be M760 XT, now mine says M760 Deore XT.
For the Hubs it says Deore XT also, when it is supposed to be just XT.
The front mech is supposed to be Shimano FD-4403, but mine says Tiagra Triple.
With the Handlebars it says they are supposed to be FSA RD300, mine says FSA Omega.
Gears are supposed to be Shimano ST-5510 STI 105, mine have Shimano Flightdeck written on them.

Are these one in the same or should I complain?

Tynan

Veteran
so clean

Mortiroloboy

Plax,

Nice shiny bike! try flipping the stem, and bringing the bars down so the tops are more horizontal with the deck. as for the mix and match components, from memory deore XT is better than just XT, so you've probaly lucked in there.:biggrin: flightdeck just means that they are compatible with Shimano's flightdeck computer FD4403 is the same as Tiagra IIRC. Dunno about the 'bars.

I would just give it a bit of time to get used to the position before you worry too much about position. What size frame did you get?

That rear brake cable looks a bit loose. How are the rear brakes?

All in all lovely bike. Are those clipped pedals and do you use clips now?

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
User259iroloboy said:
Plax,

Nice shiny bike! try flipping the stem, and bringing the bars down so the tops are more horizontal with the deck. as for the mix and match components, from memory deore XT is better than just XT, so you've probaly lucked in there.:ohmy: flightdeck just means that they are compatible with Shimano's flightdeck computer FD4403 is the same as Tiagra IIRC. Dunno about the 'bars.

When you say try flipping the stem, do you mean turning it upside down?
I've been a bit brave and have put them slightly more horizontal again now so I shall see how I get on with that, I think it was just a bit of a shock initially to be stretched out so far!

Crackle said:
I would just give it a bit of time to get used to the position before you worry too much about position. What size frame did you get?

That rear brake cable looks a bit loose. How are the rear brakes?

All in all lovely bike. Are those clipped pedals and do you use clips now?

The frame size is a 52cm which seems the right size for my height/inside leg according to their site.

Yes, clipped pedals. They are M-505's. I've just taken the black reflector platform thingy off so they are double sided. I have M-324's on my hybrid which have clipped on one side and flat on the other. So I've got quite used to them. They take the multi-release cleats I already have on my shoes too which is good. The cleats they provided are the ones that you can only turn your foot left or right to unclip so I'm saving them for a last resort for now!

Yes, I do think the rear brake cable looka a bit loose too. I have tightened them both, the rear one has a bit of a kink in the cable running along the top tube. Seems to be okay stopping wise, but then I haven't really gone too fast to find out how effective they really are. Something I think I need to look at. I'm used to Vee Brakes and these are Canti's so I didn't want to fiddle too much just yet, especially as they are combined with the gear shifters.

Hopefully I can have a proper play tomorrow evening. I have to use the car tomorrow for work :blush:

Plax said:
The frame size is a 52cm which seems the right size for my height/inside leg according to their site.

52'll be right for you for your height. Mine's a 51 and fit's fine and I have a short reach for my size plus a back that doesn't bend as much as it used too :blush:

Just get the position roughly right and give yourself a few rides to get used to it. Then read the adjustment guides again.

If the cable's kinked it might need replacing but from the looks of where it is, it's not going to cause too many problems, apart from giving a spongier feel to your back brake.

Is it the angle of the shots or is the Brooks sloping down? If so I would say you need to level it, some even put their's up slightly. they're very slippy when new so you will slide forward if it's not level.

Enjoy: I look forward to reading your future tour plans. :ohmy:

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
mickle said:
Plax, your saddle has the wrong gender allocation for your arse and the stem is tooo long.

I take it you mean the seat post Stem rather than the handlebar stem?
I can still reach the floor when sitting on it, albeit on tip toes. I probably could do with lowering it ever so slightly, especially till I get used to it. I've been trying to do it so my legs are slightly bent at the pedal stroke like it says in my book. I haven't faffed round with a plumb line to find the correct fore & aft saddle position though!

As for gender allocation, hadn't thought of that. The nose bit is about 2cm narrower that my other female specific saddle, but the same width for the bum bit. Do you think they would be open to a swap, or should I just make do. Obviously as I haven't ridden it properly yet I haven't noticed any major uncomfort.
Crackle - yep it is pointing down slightly. I have it ever so slightly pointed down on my other saddle. I fet it less squishy shall we say, then having it pointed up. I might level it more now though for now, as you've said it is a bit slidey!

GaryA

Subversive Sage
Nice one plax
i have a irrational soft spot for Dawes tourers ever since ( reluctantly) hiring one on jersey a few years ago and slowly being won over by the all-round friendly abilities of the beast
St helier to st aubins bay refusing to be overtaken by numerous fancy road bikes...all in a heatwave too!

Chris James

Über Member
Nice bike. And in contrast to various other posters I can't see anything wrong with it!!

Re your equipment questions, I thin FD4403 is Tiagra and 105 shifters have flight deck on them so I think it is supplied as described.

Preusmably Mickle means that you have been given a B17 not B17S (women specific) but I don't know if that matters if it is comfy plus the bike isn't described as having a B17S anyway.

The stem length looks okay to me, but that depnds on how long arms and upper body you have and in any case it can be swapped if necssary (although I think NVO components are only available via Dawes as a disributor).

I wouldn't bother flipping the stem as I get the impression you want the bars high for a more upright position and flipping the stem will lower the bars. Might make you look more like a racer but the bike is a tourer and all Dawes are supplied by the stem rising upwards as standard.

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
rich p said:
How tall are you?

5ft 7" with 32" inside leg.
I would measure the length of my arms, but my ruler isn't big enough and my work colleagues might look at me funny :biggrin:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I'm 5'7" too and I think I have the next size down but I'll check when I get home. IIRC Dawes Ultras are measured in actual seat post from BB to sloping top tube which means that it's a meaningless measure compared to virtual horizontal top tube measurement.
It's possible that the size is slightly too big for you but I'm not sure. I certainly wouldn't want the next size up from mine.
If reach is a problem then moving the saddle forward and maybe using an adjustable stem may help. My wife has small fingers and has trouble using the brake and gear levers if she's overstretched.

I note that according to their site size guide you could fit a frame from 17" to 22" depending on which Dawes you buy. Fat lot of good!

I also note that Dawes give their sizes as 49, 52, 55 whereas dealers give 52,55,60.

Mortiroloboy

Plax said:
When you say try flipping the stem, do you mean turning it upside down? I've been a bit brave and have put them slightly more horizontal again now so I shall see how I get on with that, I think it was just a bit of a shock initially to be stretched out so far!

Yes, clipped pedals. They are M-505's. I've just taken the black reflector platform thingy off so they are double sided. I have M-324's on my hybrid which have clipped on one side and flat on the other. So I've got quite used to them. They take the multi-release cleats I already have on my shoes too which is good. The cleats they provided are the ones that you can only turn your foot left or right to unclip so I'm saving them for a last resort for now!

Yes, I do think the rear brake cable looka a bit loose too. I have tightened them both, the rear one has a bit of a kink in the cable running along the top tube. Seems to be okay stopping wise, but then I haven't really gone too fast to find out how effective they really are. Something I think I need to look at. I'm used to Vee Brakes and these are Canti's so I didn't want to fiddle too much just yet, especially as they are combined with the gear shifters.

Hopefully I can have a proper play tomorrow evening. I have to use the car tomorrow for work ;)

Yes, exactly that, give it a try, see how you get on, you can always put it back. Did you get measured for the bike?

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Sadly, I just bought the bike on the assumption of the sizing guide.
I've just flicked through Cyclecraft and it says you should be able to put your elbow at the end of the saddle and just about touch the handlebars with the tips of your fingers. Unfortunately I fall short of this by nearly an inch. However I did turn the seatpost stem around and readjust the saddle, this way I can touch the handlebars with my fingertips. Is this advisable before I go off galavanting with the seatpost stem turned around?

Top Bottom