Deep wheelset cash waiting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jack smith

Veteran
wanted a deep wheelset 88mm prefered 60+ will do nothing less unless very nice 50's
£250 budget chinese stuff is fine tubs or clintchers Cash waiting no messing about.

you are comedy gold

bianchi1

Guru
Interesting choice. I ride the 82mm planet X on my tt bike, but only when conditions allow it. Even a slightly breezy evening can make it a fairly unstable wheel. I would never consider riding it in a bunch situation and they are not UCI race legal.

Citius

Interesting choice. I ride the 82mm planet X on my tt bike, but only when conditions allow it. Even a slightly breezy evening can make it a fairly unstable wheel. I would never consider riding it in a bunch situation and they are not UCI race legal.

They are race legal in the sense that 82mm is permissable. There is no UCI depth limit, so if a wheel is on the UCI's homologation list, then it is legal, regardless of rim depth.

Having said that, 82mm is a ridiculous option for a regular ride.

Last edited:

bianchi1

Guru
They are race legal in the sense that 82mm is permissable. There is no UCI depth limit, so if a wheel is on the UCI's homologation list, then it is legal, regardless of rim depth.

Having said that, 82mm is a ridiculous option for a regular ride.

I should have been clearer, I meant UCI mass start events and I can't see the wheel on its list.

http://www.uci.ch/mm/Document/News/...elsinconformitywithArticle1.3.018_English.pdf

Citius

I know you meant mass start. PX wheels may not be on the homologation list, but there are plenty of other rims on there which are deeper than 82mm. Racing in the UK is run under BC technical regs anyway. I have been in races with people on Zipp 808s and even PX 101s. The point I'm trying to make is that PX 82s not being on the UCI-approve list is largely irrelevant.

bianchi1

Guru
I know you meant mass start. PX wheels may not be on the homologation list, but there are plenty of other rims on there which are deeper than 82mm. Racing in the UK is run under BC technical regs anyway. I have been in races with people on Zipp 808s and even PX 101s. The point I'm trying to make is that PX 82s not being on the UCI-approve list is largely irrelevant.

Sorry should have been even clearer. The only race I have seen @jack smith talk about doing was UCI regulated, so for him the choice of Planet X wheels is hugely relevant.

Citius

Sorry should have been even clearer. The only race I have seen @jack smith talk about doing was UCI regulated, so for him the choice of Planet X wheels is hugely relevant.

What, the Cambridge gran fondo? I doubt if anyone was checking wheels there. Let's get it into perspective...

bianchi1

Guru

Also this is from the British cycling regulations, linked to from the BC website.

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/z..._For_General_Road_Track_and_Roller_Racing.pdf

1. For massed start competitions in the disciplines road and cyclo-cross only wheel designs granted prior approval by the UCI may be used

Top Bottom