Define a "racing bike"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
More discrimination against recumbents!!!!!

Can we include a number on the bike?
We'll allow that.

I do accept though that despite number on person AND bike trike... many would not accept this as the epitome of racing bike design

294633_338593969559100_831311781_n.jpg

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
From another point of view-
My Felt Z100 is described as having a relaxed geometry and slightly longer wheelbase making for a more comfortable ride, therefore I guess compared to some its not an all out "racer" however when discussing my bike with a colleague I said I had a road bike to which he replied 'oh a racer, nice one I've been thinking of replacing my MTB with one"
This then got me thinking about all the terminology and all the advances in bikes. A cyclocross can be raced, is it a racer? A MTB can be ridden on road is it a road bike?
To me a racer is anything that you race regardless of type. I may be getting myself a well specced carbon jobby early next year which will certainly be capable of racing and will be designed as such, I however am not and will have no intention of doing so

gbb

Legendary Member
From another point of view-
My Felt Z100 is described as having a relaxed geometry and slightly longer wheelbase making for a more comfortable ride, therefore I guess compared to some its not an all out "racer" however when discussing my bike with a colleague I said I had a road bike to which he replied 'oh a racer, nice one I've been thinking of replacing my MTB with one"

If I'm talking to an average guy who isnt particually interested in bikes as 'we' are...I still initially refer to mine as a racing bike, not because that's what it is, because he will instantly understand what I mean. Tell the uninitiated its a roadbike, they won't neccessarily know what you mean.

mustang1

Legendary Member
1. Before figuring out what a race bike is, let's define what a race is. Road, MTB, endurance, tour divide. Raam, etc.

2. Now see which bike will give the rider a good chance of doing well in the race as specified in point one.

3. Different people will have different meanings for "doing well". Some will think coming first is all. Some will think a top 3 finish is what they desire. Others will think of finishing within a certain time. Etc.

Some weird examples:

If you have to enter a race where you're allowed to take the London Underground, then I'd be all up for a brompton rather than a drop bar road bike.
If half the race track is a mix of rough and smooth surface, I might want a cx bike.

Oh yeah, and the bike has to look cool. :smile:

Oh! It's got to have lots of gears.

Top Bottom