Define a "racing bike"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
image.jpg

Clearly it's my Argos special CP50!

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
View attachment 98678

Clearly it's my Argos special CP50!
Some of the rules were reworded/rewritten in 2009 though!

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Although.......

BS EN 14781:2005 applies to racing bicycles intended for high-speed amateur use on public roads, and on which the saddle can be adjusted to provide a maximum saddle height of 635 mm or more.

Copied and pasted from a random website somewhere!

Wow I really did buy a street sleeper rocketship!

Has anyone else got this "special" sticker?

tyred

Legendary Member
You can race any bike, you may not win on any bike but you can still race it.:wacko:

My uncle started his first job in the early 1950s, riding the delivery bike for a grocer's shop. In his lunch hour, he and all the other messenger boys used to meet up with their delivery bikes and hold races up and down the promenade, so yes, you can race anything, even a single speed, rod braked tank with a huge basket.

They all struggled to beat the guy who worked in the butcher's as he was super-fit from trying to outrun all the dogs that tried to nick the sausages out of the basket!

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Although.......

BS EN 14781:2005 applies to racing bicycles intended for high-speed amateur use on public roads, and on which the saddle can be adjusted to provide a maximum saddle height of 635 mm or more.

Copied and pasted from a random website somewhere!

Wow I really did buy a street sleeper rocketship!

Has anyone else got this "special" sticker?
British Standard then.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
No cyclists I know refer to their 'racing bike'. Road Bike, Tourer, Time Trial Bike, Fixed, Cyclo Cross, Race bike, - yes, 'racing bike', no. IMO it's an expression used by those who know very little about bikes or cycling to refer to a bike with skinny tyres and drop bars.

Top Bottom