Delph Holland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
That explains why their bicycles are all so bliddy enormous then.
Actually I reckon they're tall so that they can see over all the hills. :okay:

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
As you would expect in The Netherlands the cycle paths are lovely too.

2015-07-03 08.18.04.jpg

That's @hopless500 in the distance.

Here's Delph

View attachment 136318

It's a small village in the Pennines. Good for cycling, seems pretty laid back when I pass through. Strange lack of Dutch people though

I used to live there in the eighties and early nineties,a lot of the local shops closed,no bank,offy,pet shop,one of the pubs became a music shop another became a tapas bar! The village kind of lost its soul and I upped sticks and moved to Cornwall,never saw any Dutch people either

MarkF

Guru
It is a very beautiful place. I didn't get to see enough of it last year on tour as I was pushing on up to Utrecht to see the TdF.

It's on my return list and for what it's worth a quiet life is a healthy and more fulfilling life. Encourages creativity,contentment and calm.

What's not to like.

I've toured and enjoyed family camping holidays there, wouldn't want to live there though, it's too quiet, orderly, nice, samey, I've struggled to get a beer in some towns after 6pm, yikes! At a tad over 6' it's the only place I've ever felt short.

Mrs F has had it with football and is going to the Texel Islands on her bike during the next World Cup.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Am over here for a week am really enjoying the laid back easy going friendly people over here. The pace of life is so much slower than London. Why is Delph so different. I know its much smaller than London and a lot less people. So it seems to me smaller communities work better. Just saying.
Ps The beer is the best. :okay:.

Londinium despite being Universe Central to its inhabitants is by no means the definitive UK barometer by which to measure the relative quiet-ness of other places imo.

Delft has <100k inhabitants (thank you Google) and should more rightly be compared to a small-ish provincial Blighty town and not to the over-populated, over-hyped, over indulged and, frankly, dire Capital of our fair nation.

There's plenty of laid back & friendly towns here at home.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Londinium despite being Universe Central to its inhabitants is by no means the definitive UK barometer by which to measure the relative quiet-ness of other places imo.

Delft has <100k inhabitants (thank you Google) and should more rightly be compared to a small-ish provincial Blighty town and not to the over-populated, over-hyped, over indulged and, frankly, dire Capital of our fair nation.

There's plenty of laid back & friendly towns here at home.
Yep and I live in one :secret:

snorri

Legendary Member
Actually I reckon they're tall so that they can see over all the hills. :okay:

See over all the dykes shurely?

Top Bottom