'Despicable' bike theft from paramedic in London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I still don't see how its relevant Mr Nut. I was commenting on days when those who assaulted public servants tended to get more significant punishment. I hadn't made any comment about aggrieved public servants taking matters into their own hands, and hadn't even dreamed of suggesting that was a desirable state of affairs, so to invite me to defend something I hadn't even thought about just seemed a bit jarring.

As for me? Well, if I were minister for thieving scumbagery id chop their hands off. Stops repeat offending dead, and gives a strong incentive not to don the crime in then first place ;). Id then order them on a diet of soup, which they'd have to eat with chopsticks.
I just wish that public servants realised that is what they were but ho-hum, probably before your time though.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Public spirit!

When the service is missing, then it'll be missed.
This and much stiffer sentencing until emergency services are considered sacrosanct.

Drago

Legendary Member
I just wish that public servants realised that is what they were but ho-hum, probably before your time though.
its a good thing I'm not a public servant then.

I'm all for heavier sentencing for crimes of this nature, nothing more than that.

I'm not getting drawn into a discussion of police brutality in the 1980s because its irrelevant to this discussion and is a different topic entirely. I never even thought about it, much less mentioned it, so do not need to answer to you over the matter.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Public spirit!, its theft has just proven there is non. The courts wont legistlate specifically for the thefts of paramedic equiptment. A theft is a theft.
So you would prefer it that a paramedic who is there because there is an emergency wastes time trying to find somewhere to secure a bike?
The courts don't legislate, Parliament makes the laws and the courts apply them. If Parliament says "Here's the sentences for assaults or other crimes against emergency services" the courts will apply them accordingly.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I'm not arguing with you any further, just go to the Doctors and get the help you need.
In your strange world my doctor is probably looking for a safe place to park his car rather than dealing with patients.

But don't worry there'll be no further conversations with you anyway.

Thieving is a heinous act. But stealing from a paramedic who is treating a patient at the time is absolutely loathsome and disgusting. At least they have a clear picture of him and I hope that will help them find this guy.

@above posters, I don't think anyone should be pointing fingers at any country. There are bad people in every country.

I certainly don't think one theft is enough for the ambulance service to change it's number one priority when arriving on the scene from aiding the casualty to securing property.

Can you imagine sitting beside a loved one trying to stanch a pulsing arterial bleed, and watching while a paramedic unwraps her hiplok from around her waist, and secures the bike before turning her attention to the patient?

If the ambulance services want to change it's policies as a result of criminal public behaviour, I hope they do something to protect their employees from assault, before worrying about an occasional theft.
Do not do a google news search for paramedic. It is soooo depressing.
screen-shot-2016-07-14-at-20-03-16-jpg.134889.jpg

migrantwing

Veteran
He looks the type. The epitome of a tosspot thief.

Booyaa

Veteran
I certainly don't think one theft is enough for the ambulance service to change it's number one priority when arriving on the scene from aiding the casualty to securing property.

Can you imagine sitting beside a loved one trying to stanch a pulsing arterial bleed, and watching while a paramedic unwraps her hiplok from around her waist, and secures the bike before turning her attention to the patient?

If the ambulance services want to change it's policies as a result of criminal public behaviour, I hope they do something to protect their employees from assault, before worrying about an occasional theft.
One of these locks that are ubiquitous in the Netherlands would be ideal. Sits on the rear triangle and is like handcuffs so it stops the back wheel from turning.

http://www.dutchbikebits.com/axa-defender-wheel-lock

Ideal piece of kit, particularly for this scenario.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Im surprised these bikes dont have a GPS tracker hidden inside the frame or saddle in case of theft... though you dont exactly expect one to be stolen.

seems to be happening more regularly, so maybe its worth getting them installed

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
One of these locks that are ubiquitous in the Netherlands would be ideal. Sits on the rear triangle and is like handcuffs so it stops the back wheel from turning.

http://www.dutchbikebits.com/axa-defender-wheel-lock

Ideal piece of kit, particularly for this scenario.
While this thread is bumped up to the top, I was just thinking about a wheel lock that would close just by hand releasing a safety lever. It would take no longer to lock than to get the bike on its stand. It would be far harder to carry a heavy laden bike from an incident without becoming pretty conspicuous. You'd need a key to open it again, obviously, but by the time the paramedic is about to pack up and cycle away, there's no immediate time pressure.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
If you are attending an emergency then looking around for somewhere to,park, securing the bike, and then attending takes valuable time

The question for me is where was the public support?

Surely at some point someone looked and thought that the thief was not a paramedic and pushing a paramedic's bike?
This /\/\

Whilst we all complain about the state of the nation and seek to blame foreigners for all our problems...we ignore the nasty looking daffodil riding a clearly stolen paramedic cycle through the most densely populated city in the UK.

Top Bottom