Did you know your grandparents ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
some people seem to want to be offended

So what if you never met your grandparents. That does not stop you knowing their names!

You can find offence with any question if you want to?

Try to MTFU and get a life. Its far more fun when you are not deliberately looking for things to get offended about

I am warming to you Spen.

this was my thoughts

Diggs

Veteran
I was lucky, I knew 3 out of the 4. We lost the last, Grandad Diggs a few years ago in his nineties, it's a wonder I'm here at all as he was trapped and Dad was born under Nazi occupation.
My kids are lucky, not only do they just about remember great grandad but they have 4 wonderful grandparents to dote over them

subaqua

What’s the point
George and Georgina , Elsie and John. knew all except John. who died in when my dad was a wee un.

george was a miserable old bugger who only put one or two lumps of coal on the fire . god that house was cold.

elsie was my fave, and i take after her in reading habits - start a book and can read it in one sitting staying up till stupid o clock

Venod

Eh up
Although my paternal Grandfather died in WW1 along with 2 of his brothers and my maternal Grandfather died when I was very young I know their names from researching the family tree, I remember both my grandmothers and their names, my paternal grandmother went blind through diabetes, she fell down stairs at my cousins wedding & died, a few years later this cousin died of cancer !

I wouldn't worry about the password just remember what you select.

Last edited:
Sadly all my grandparents are no longer with us. First to go was my maternal grandmother Helen (Nellie) at the age of 71 when I was 10 years old, I believe she died of complications following a stroke. Her husband ,Willie,died of a 'broken heart' about 9 months later. He was a bit of a character, he'd worked at Yarrows shipyard in Glasgow all his working life. Next to go was my paternal grandfather, Matthew, at the age of 77 when I was 14. He had been a minister and a former moderator of the Church of Scotland. I didn't really know him that well as we were always a bit of awe of him when we were kids. Last to go was my paternal grandma, Ann, at the age of 86. She was a real gem, an ex-district nurse and a native of Tralee, Co.Kerry. She kept that soft Irish brogue until the end despite having lived in Scotland for nearly 60 years.

gbb

Legendary Member
Yes i knew mine.
Im 56, my dad and mum are 84 (dad has just passed away)...I knew my grandparents, on mums side Peggy and Johnny, both hard strong solid Northumbrians. Johnny passed away perhaps in the 1980s at a good age, he was a lovely man, I can hear his voice now like it was yesterday. Peggy passed about 10 years ago, she must have been in her 90s and was still very formidable.
On dads side...I dont remember his mums name...she died maybe in the 1970s or 80s at the latest. We rarely met, they were hundreds of miles away.
Dads dad was Alfred, born in 1898, fought in WW1, was a master carpenter, head of works in Bristol docks for many years in charge of hundreds of men, very Victorian in his manner and outlook. He passed in 1992 . We rarely ever saw them, as kids we were always on the move with dad in the RAF.

young Ed

Veteran
yep i know fore and surnames of all 4 :smile: 2 are still alive (the Swedish pair) but the English pair are both gone, grandpa went before i was born so never met him but grandma in 2006 i think
Cheers Ed

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I'm upset because the question smacks of ageism. I suspect that many of my age, over 50, would be hard pressed to answer this. I suspect that the question was selected by somebody considerably younger who doesn't appreciate that many of our grandfathers failed to make it through the war.
I'm over 50 and know my grandparents names, but that's irrelevant, just make them up.
I routinely make my next of kin's name up when requested ... hold it ... discrimination towards single people that don't have relatives :rolleyes:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
All of mine were alive when I was born but all were dead by the time I was 18. However I know all their names: Kitty and Andy (Ano apparently but he was the first to die so limited memories of a sweetie tin), and on the other side were Fred and Sara. I also know the names of their siblings most of whom I didn't meet including Thompson, Cissie, Daisy, John, Bob, George, Willie, Annie, Francie, Florrie, Minnie, Tilly etc

Top Bottom