Disc rotor adaptor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Snorrarcisco

Regular
Right I will try to explain in as much detail as possible.

I have some Shimano RX31's and some spyre trp mechanical discs. In order to put both together i have needed to use a Shimano SM-RTAD05 disc rotor adapter. So far I should have no issue.
Disc rotor adapter and disc aligned perfectly.

One slight issue. The adapter comes with a shiny metal spacer smooth on one side and grooves on the other. not sure where this goes but I assume between adapter and rotor this is probably 2 mm thick.

Now the major issue is this if I bolt this down to the adapter the bolts will stick just a fraction out and the shimano lock will not tighten all the way downed sits over the bolts...

Am I need of new shimano proper rotors and therefore new brakes???

Anyone had experience with this issue?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Can we have a photo? There's some bodging brainpower on this forum that can probably solve it for you.

OP
OP
Snorrarcisco

Snorrarcisco

Regular
2 secs made them huge fixing it
2016-02-13 20.11.35.jpg 2016-02-13 20.10.57.jpg

If I tighten the bolts all the way down the lock ring won't sit smoothly on top of the rotor.

Is this a major issue and if so will a shimano rotor with mount (no need the adapter) work with the trp spyre brake?

Globalti

Legendary Member
If you don't get a reply on here try Singletrack as they're much more into mountain biking over there. Somebody will know.

OP
OP
Snorrarcisco

Snorrarcisco

Regular
The bolts are bastards to put in really tight to slot in. but if they go all in I cannot put the centre lock on top of the rotor, well i can but it will then sit on top of the top of the bolts. It will be bolted down to the adapter yes but I always thought you needed the centre lock to make it safe.
I have two sets of bolts the TRP ones would require the spacer but the adapter ones are shallower but they won't stay flush no.

If I don't bolt it then i can use the lock ring but won't the disc be loose?

OP
OP
Snorrarcisco

Snorrarcisco

Regular
I am an absolute plonk!!!!

in order to sort it i need the adapter then the rotor then bolt it then put the spacer in and apply the lock ring. The height of the bolt head is the same as the thickness of the spacer!!! really sorry people really sorry I shall hang my head in shame!!!

Top Bottom