DIY - material to make spring ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Or out of a mouse trap? They're strong as anything.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
One of those rubber foam sanding blocks?

I had in mind hard rubber - something like a rubber (eraser) maybe? Cut it to size, then perhaps cut a few cut-outs in it if it's not bendy enough - place between the leaves of the copper (so say) spring you now have.

EDIT - I should add, this is not something I've tried, but certainly worth a try. I have quite a good track record for imaginative bodgery

classic33

Leg End Member
what about the rubber they make grease and oil seals out of ?
Compression fittings though. The rubber in the block isn't made to take grease/oil, it would just harden, over a very short space of time,

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Compression fittings though. The rubber in the block isn't made to take grease/oil, it would just harden, over a very short space of time,

well I don't know about sanding block rubber (but assuming we're not talking about the stuff with embedded grit in it for other reasons), but rubber pipes often used as petrol pipes, and engine breather pipes (which get very oily) - and other stuff like that. I know oil traditionally causes rubber to perish, but some types of rubber are clearly OK

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
well I don't know about sanding block rubber (but assuming we're not talking about the stuff with embedded grit in it for other reasons), but rubber pipes often used as petrol pipes, and engine breather pipes (which get very oily) - and other stuff like that. I know oil traditionally causes rubber to perish, but some types of rubber are clearly OK
Oil seals for rotating shafts are often made from Nitrile rubber....
http://www.wychbearings.co.uk/w10005025-r21-nbr_oil_seal.html?gclid=CNObxJ7pqcgCFSYUwwodW2EJPg
O-rings are often nitrile as well.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
[QUOTE 3937280, member: 9609"]@theclaud --- there you go, you should never bin these things off.[/QUOTE]
Just PM me a postal address and I'll send you a variety of borked metal stuff!

Top Bottom